Solved

Getting bounce back emails for some of the email addresses at my own company's domain when i send a newsletter blast. What things do I check to fix?

• 4 August 2021
  • 3 replies

Badge +2

I am getting bounce back emails for a lot of the email addresses at my own company's domain whenever we send a newsletter blast. What things do I check to fix this?

icon

Best answer by retention 4 August 2021, 17:34

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +57

Hi @Finder, I’ve seen this happened before, and usually it’s a DKIM/SPF or DMARC setting in your email infrastructure that’s restricting emails because it thinks it’s a spoofed (spam) email to prevent phishing attacks (hackers that masquerade as an internal email to get someone in your organization to click or download malware).

If you’re using one of the popular email platforms for your corporate emails like Google Workspace (Gsuite), Outlook, or GoDaddy Email - you may also have to configure filter rules to allow emails from Klaviyo’s email sending infrastructure.

If you’re in a corporate environment and are on private email systems, an IT or Security administrator may need to configure the settings for you. Obviously, these vary greatly and based on your organization’s security rules or risk policies.

One other path you can do is to setup a “Dedicated Sending Domain” with Klaviyo or a “Dedicated IP” if you are a high volume sender, which might solve the issue since emails will be sent from a domain you designate (and that your security system will recognize) - although, you will still have to go through the same process of configuring your DNS (DKIM/SPF and possibly DMARC).  

Also, if you do choose to use a Dedicated Sending Domain, remember that means you most likely have to go through a warm-up process since you are changing the underlying infrastructure of where Klaviyo send emails from.  

Here’s some documentation to do this:

WARNING: One last thing to note just in case….  Configuring or changing your DNS or email infrastructure is super sensitive and finicky - if you’re not comfortable doing it, I highly recommend you find a reputable IT professional to help or have the counterparty of your system provider to aid (Google, Microsoft, GoDaddy, etc).  Changing the wrong setting or misconfiguring it may take your entire email down, and possibly anything linked to your domain (including your website!).  Remember, your DNS (domain) is your key to your kingdom, so make sure to properly vette them before you hand over the password to some random person on the internet. 

Hope this helps!

Badge +2

OK got it and thank you for responding! I determined I do have a dedicated sender domain. In this case what should my SPF, DKIM and DMARC records look like in this case and do you guys have instructions on how to set these up in this scenario? Thank You Again!

Userlevel 7
Badge +60

Hey @Finder,

@retention has been giving out some incredible advice in the Klaviyo Community lately! They are absolutely correct in their response on this! At this time Klaviyo, nor our partners provide support on custom integrations or custom coding. To update your SPF, DKIM and DMARC or other settings in your email infrastructure, you will need to reach out to your IT administrator or IT team to make sure everything is set up correctly for your business. Like @retention said,”Remember, your DNS (domain) is your key to your kingdom, so make sure to properly vette them before you hand over the password to some random person on the internet.”