Have You Implemented a Dedicated Sending Domain?

• 20 September 2021
  • 2 replies

Badge +2

Have any of you implemented a dedicated sending domain? If yes, how does deliverability look like before and after? Assuming that you followed Klaviyo’s best practices for setting up and warming the domain first :)

I’m thinking of implementing it for my company. But as we need to dedicate some time to warm up the domain, it means loss of revenue for us for about 3-4 weeks (due to sending flows only for 1-2 weeks and then super engaged 30d segments for another 1-2 weeks).

If it’s highly impactful, we’d do it. But we’re unsure as to whether the impact is worth it. Creating a conversation here so it’ll be helpful to other who have the same thought/worry :)

Just to share some context, here’s some numbers for our brand.

Unique Open Rate: avg 13.5%

Unique Click Rate: avg 0.62%

Bounce Rate: avg 0.11%

Unsubscribe Rate: 0.11%

Spam Complaint Rate: 0%

Taylor Tarpley 2 years ago

Hi @dennislee

Thanks for sharing your question in the Community and starting a collaborative conversation about Dedicated Sending Domains

Creating a reputable sending infrastructure that inboxes will trust is a huge, long-term investment for any e-commerce businesses. As revenue for e-commerce businesses is based on whether or not your messages are hitting your customers’ inboxes and sparking an action, I would highly consider the return on investment a Dedicated Sending Domain provides. You are correct, in order to set one up, you will need to follow the Warming Protocol  of your new domain to, in a sense, “train” inboxes to see you as a reliable, trustworthy sender. This would include: 

1. Turn on high engagement flows
  2. Migrate your engagement data over from your previous email service provider
  3. Begin sending campaigns to engaged segments
  4. Monitor your performance

When considering whether this might negatively impact revenue or decrease it, I would remember that in this process you can still send messages to your ‘engaged’ segments and leave your ‘high engagement’ flows turned on for these 3-4 weeks. 

However, it is important to also note that creating a Dedicated Sending Domain is not an overnight fix to deliverability woes. For instance, after considering your Click and Open Rates, I would also suggest reading through How to Monitor Email Deliverability and Creating Sending Habits that will Lead to Good Email Deliverability as this will also aid in increasing those campaign rates for your company. Additionally, there is a lot provided on the Community Forum about Deliverability that I’d suggest checking out to help your investigation! 

Thanks for sharing your question with the Community and am curious to hear what other users have to say as well! 

Best,

Taylor  

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +60

Hi @dennislee

Thanks for sharing your question in the Community and starting a collaborative conversation about Dedicated Sending Domains

Creating a reputable sending infrastructure that inboxes will trust is a huge, long-term investment for any e-commerce businesses. As revenue for e-commerce businesses is based on whether or not your messages are hitting your customers’ inboxes and sparking an action, I would highly consider the return on investment a Dedicated Sending Domain provides. You are correct, in order to set one up, you will need to follow the Warming Protocol  of your new domain to, in a sense, “train” inboxes to see you as a reliable, trustworthy sender. This would include: 

1. Turn on high engagement flows
  2. Migrate your engagement data over from your previous email service provider
  3. Begin sending campaigns to engaged segments
  4. Monitor your performance

When considering whether this might negatively impact revenue or decrease it, I would remember that in this process you can still send messages to your ‘engaged’ segments and leave your ‘high engagement’ flows turned on for these 3-4 weeks. 

However, it is important to also note that creating a Dedicated Sending Domain is not an overnight fix to deliverability woes. For instance, after considering your Click and Open Rates, I would also suggest reading through How to Monitor Email Deliverability and Creating Sending Habits that will Lead to Good Email Deliverability as this will also aid in increasing those campaign rates for your company. Additionally, there is a lot provided on the Community Forum about Deliverability that I’d suggest checking out to help your investigation! 

Thanks for sharing your question with the Community and am curious to hear what other users have to say as well! 

Best,

Taylor  

Badge +2

@Taylor Tarpley thx for all the awesome info! Thanks for explaining that it won’t be an overnight fix :) We’re also thinking of exhausting all other ways to improve our deliverability first.

That said, do you actually see an improvement for other Klaviyo users? How much of an impact does it have? Or is it just a marginal improvement?