F.A.Q.

How long does it take to warm up a dedicated sending domain?

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

The time it takes to warm up a dedicated sending domain varies for each sender. Depending your list size, it can take up to 30 days to fully warm your dedicated sending domain. When you first set up a dedicated sending domain, it is recommended that you just have the high engagement flows (welcome series, abandoned cart, and browse abandonment) running for a few days. Once you are ready to send your first campaign, make sure you send to a highly engaged segment and aim for 30% in open rates. Afterwards, the subsequent sends should strive for 20%+ open rates. 

For additional resources on how to warm up your sending domain, you can check out the Guide to Warming Your Sending Infrastructure article.

10 replies

Badge +2

Hi! Would you recommend using an email warmup service like Warmbox or Warmup Your Email to help with the warmup process, especially if we won’t be having too many automated campaigns in the beginning? I only plan to send out campaigns in the initial months. Thank you so much.

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

Hi @joejlam -- thank you for your comment! 

While warmup services may sound appealing for those who want to get the their domain warmed up quickly and with minimal effort, it is not something I would recommend using. Based on what we know about these tools is that they provide artificial email engagement to warm up your domain. Eventually, inbox providers start to catch onto these artificial email engagement and your sending domain will start to take a hit -- which may take some time to recover from.

I always recommend warming up with the organic engagement you get from your own audience. If you are in a position where you don’t send many campaigns in the beginning, I would recommend that you stick with Klaviyo’s shared sending domain until you are at a point where you can conduct a thorough warm up with your own audience.

Badge +1

@wei.he We recently did the email domain verification and initiated the dedicated sending domain with warm up. After sending zero emails we’re getting the status “You have completed Account Warming. We won't be providing guidance anymore, but it's important that you continue sending to an engaged audience.” on the campaigns page. How could that be when we just added the DMARC to DNS and just started the process. Everything I’ve read says it takes anywhere from 2 to 4 weeks, not 5 seconds. What do you make of this?

Userlevel 7
Badge +60

Hey @chetlv,

Thanks for sharing your feedback with the Klaviyo Community!

This does seem like an odd unexpected behavior. I’ve shared this feedback with our Product and Engineering team to investigate further on this matter. We’ll follow up to you directly regarding this matter as well as circling back to this post to provide an update to other members who may be following along. 

Thanks for being a Klaviyo Community Member.

David

Badge +1

Thanks for the info, @david.to. It’s odd indeed. I saw the email about the Support Request created. Thanks for opening that. Can you please add the following notes to that Request case?...

When I navigated to the ‘About Guided Warming’ Klaviyo page (https://help.klaviyo.com/hc/en-us/articles/4402636609691-About-Guided-Warming) just now there was a slide up message from the bottom that said “Guided Warming is currently in limited availability. Stay tuned for the full release to come!” (see image below)

It’s important for our account that we understand if its that…

1. We completed account warming as Klaviyo is reporting in our admin; Or
  2. Guided warming by Klaviyo isn’t actually happening based on the status message re: limited availability

The unfortunate situation would be if guided warming is actually limited and as a result Klaviyo is providing a very misleading status in the admin that account warming is completed. Those are two very different things of course.

Can you get back to me on this ASAP? We were about to restart regular (non-warming) emails/campaigns, but now we’re just in a holding pattern until this conflicting information is resolved for us (and your other customers).

Badge +1

@david.to, hi. Despite you having opened that support case for us and this being a time sensitive issue (we’re not yet resuming regular campaigns), we’ve heard nothing back thus far. Is there a way for you to escalate or help us get a status update?

Userlevel 7
Badge +61

Hello @chetlv,

Thank you so much for your patience here.

You are absolutely correct, warming up a dedicated sending domain takes time and that message you are receiving is not accurate. The support team is actively looking into remedying this mistake. With that said, this warning will not have any material impact on the actual dedicated sending domain warming process, and so you should continue warming your dedicated sending domain as you normally would following our recommendations here while we look into this.

Additionally, on your second point, the limited availability banner is not related to the issue you are experiencing, it is a banner that is displayed for all folks who navigate to that help center page for guided warming to inform folks that guided warming is not yet available for all accounts.

I hope that helps clear things up. Thanks and enjoy the rest of your day.

Badge +2

While warmup services may sound appealing for those who want to get the their domain warmed up quickly and with minimal effort, it is not something I would recommend using. Based on what we know about these tools is that they provide artificial email engagement to warm up your domain. Eventually, inbox providers start to catch onto these artificial email engagement and your sending domain will start to take a hit -- which may take some time to recover from.

I always recommend warming up with the organic engagement you get from your own audience. If you are in a position where you don’t send many campaigns in the beginning, I would recommend that you stick with Klaviyo’s shared sending domain until you are at a point where you can conduct a thorough warm up with your own audience.

@wei.he Love your insight! Two related questions to this…

1. Any thoughts on using a “warm-up” service for an account that already has been active for years in order to improve the deliverability? So a domain that may have a tarnished reputation with email providers but would like to improve? For example, this service inboxy.io claims to improve these situations. 

1. Does changing the sender name Ex. Joe@store.com to Jane@store.com impact deliverability at all? (Good or bad?)
    ​​​​​​​Is there a need to warm up “Jane” if the account has only used “Joe” for years? Or is reputation and deliverability solely based on sending domain?

Thanks so much! 
Badge +2

@wei.he Love your insight! Two related questions to this…

1. Any thoughts on using a “warm-up” service for an account that already has been active for years in order to improve the deliverability? So a domain that may have a tarnished reputation with email providers but would like to improve? For example, this service inboxy.io claims to improve these situations. 

1. Does changing the sender name Ex. Joe@store.com to Jane@store.com impact deliverability at all? (Good or bad?)
    Is there a need to warm up “Jane” if the account has only used “Joe” for years? Or is reputation and deliverability solely based on sending domain?

Thanks so much! 

@David To @Dov 
Hi Guys, wondering if you have any thoughts on the two questions above? Thanks so much!

Userlevel 7
Badge +61

Hi @Malachi McG,

Thanks for your questions. Happy to chime in here.

The same principles that Wei mentions would still apply in this case. We don’t recommend any customer use these services since they instill a potentially false sense of confidence around warming and could even lead to further issues with your deliverability. Instead, we recommend sticking to Klaviyo’s recommended strategies around warming. It's best to use good sending practices diligently.

With respect to your second question, changing just the sender name will not impact your deliverability so feel free to change that as you see fit.

Hope that is helpful 🙂 Thanks for being a member of our community.