Solved

Started Checkout doesn't always work

• 18 October 2021
  • 5 replies

Badge +2

Hello,

Started checkout is not always working. Some customers get to payment landing and they just apear on Klaviyo as “Active on Site”. My pixel is on payment page where customer must be loged yes or yes.

My main theory is that json includes some incorrect character.

Other theroy is that is not working on some devices or OS or browsers.

Last theroy is that customers does have javascript off.

Does anyone can tell me more posible causes? I don’t know what else check.

Thanks for all your help!

icon

Best answer by David To 18 October 2021, 21:30

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +60

Hello @MarcPartsss,

Thanks for sharing your question with the Klaviyo Community!

I would suggest checking to see if you are running into any integration issues. From my experience, Checkout Started events that are not recorded consistently are typically caused by an integration issue such as if there were any syncing issues between your ecommerce platform and Klaviyo. 

Also keep in mind that for contacts to trigger a Checkout Started event, the contact must be cookied. For this to happen a contact can fill out a form prior to heading to the checkout page or even enter their email as part of their contact information and move onto the shipping page which would record the email address and cookie the visitor. 

Lastly, I would question weather you have a single step or multi-step checkout page. It is a known issue where having a single step checkout page may hinder the Checkout Started event from recording. I explained this in more details in a past Community post which I’ve included below:

I hope this helps!

David

Badge +2

Hello @david.to ,

Thanks for your answer.

I’m not using an existing platform. Our project is custom, build in home.

The contact is cookied because he/she did login in the prevoius page, so I know his/her email I I can do the _learnq.push(['identify’, { '$email': '…. I asume this is enough to identify the contact. Am I correct?

Now I’ve tryed to change way of tracking the “Started Checkout” event. Insted of using the Javascript Track API, I’m using the server-side Track API. I hope this is more efective against those tracking loses. Do you think its a good choice?

Kind regards,

Marc

Userlevel 7
Badge +60

Hey @MarcPartsss,

That method should be enough to identify a profile. However, due to the nature of our cookies being reliant on whether the person has it enabled in the first place it typically is not the most reliable method. Visitors who use incognito mode, ad blockers, or certain extensions may flush these cookies rendering them ineffective. 

Using the server-side Track API solution, which isn’t reliant on the user being cookied would be a better option to more effectively trigger the Started Checkout event/metric.

Have a great day!

David

Badge +2

I use Shopify and strangely I cannot trigger Checkout Started when it’s me on the site but it did capture everything else like product view, add to cart. 

It is capturing Checkout Started for other people, I compared the list to Shopify’s abandon cart list and it was the same emails, so that’s no problem.  

It just makes it difficult for testing purposes!

Userlevel 7
Badge +36

Hi @AndrewBu!

Here’s a thread I recently responded to that explains why this could happen:

I’d recommend reading through this as a start, and I’ll link the Help Center Article on this topic here as well:

- Brian