Solved

Dark Mode and the future at Klaviyo

• 9 November 2021
  • 5 replies

Badge +2
  • Active Contributor I
  • 10 replies

Hi there,

We’re just starting to really dig into dark mode solutions with our email sends, and as all of you know, it ain’t easy!

I’m wondering if KL has any tools on the horizon to facilitate testing within the app and make it easier to try out different combinations of background/foreground colors to quickly see what renders the best in different implementations of dark mode (full inversion/partial inversion).

Thanks,

Don

icon

Best answer by Manny Singh 10 November 2021, 04:06

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +60

Hey @Don 

Thank you for coming back to the Klaviyo Community for help with dark mode and your marketing!

Due to dark mode being user specific settings, Klaviyo does not current have tools in the template editor to address this, we do have our best practices for Dark Mode documentation in our Help Center that addresses some of the concerns with customers who use it. Also check out these other community post about dark mode in the email template editor.

Hope this helps, and thank you for being an active member of the Klaviyo Community! 

Badge +2

Thanks Stephen,

Those threads are about pretty specific problems and the Best Practices is a very thin article. Litmus, EoA, and Campaign Monitor have done much deeper dives on the topic (maybe KL should update the article :)

I get that KL isn’t a testing tool, but it would sure be nice to not have to fire off a test to Litmus -- every time we change a background color for a campaign -- just to make sure it hangs together in dark mode!

Don

Userlevel 7
Badge +38

This would definitely be an awesome feature.  @Don, something else I do when designing emails is turn Dark Mode ON for my Desktop Chrome browser.  After designing enough, you start to understand how colours will show up in Dark Mode.

If you use Chrome, here’s how to do that:

Go to this link:

chrome://flags/#enable-force-dark 

Enable this setting:

Badge +2

@Manny Thanks for the great tip...I’ll definitely start doing that! Does Chrome do the full inversion of colors, and do you find the palette it chooses it pretty consistent with the gmail app or outlook?

Userlevel 7
Badge +38

@Manny Thanks for the great tip...I’ll definitely start doing that! Does Chrome do the full inversion of colors, and do you find the palette it chooses it pretty consistent with the gmail app or outlook?

I haven’t tested it with outlook, but it’s the same for me on Gmail.  But my designs are pretty simple.  Best to test a few variations by sending a preview email to your gmail and then open it while your phone is on dark mode.