Solved

Re: Outook 365 email formatting - no paragraphs

Badge +2

I am trying to work on my email templates, however in outlook 365 desktop, they show up with no paragraph breaks in them. They look fine out my mobile device. Does anyone have any tips?

icon

Best answer by alex.hong 21 April 2022, 22:39

View original

13 replies

Badge +1

I’m also very interested to find a solution to this.

This hasn’t been a problem with previous EDM providers such as MailChimp and DotMailer and is becoming a bit of a dealbreaker for us, which would be a shame given Klaviyo’s great segmentation options with Shopify. I understand Outlook has email rendering quirks, but I haven’t experienced this with other software.

Interestingly enough there are no problems with Outlook Mac.

Badge +1

We are having the same issue and eager to find a fix. Our emails look great in the preview and when we send out EXCEPT Outlook 365 desktop. Is Klaviyo working to resolve this? 

Userlevel 6
Badge +9

Hi @Guy Levine, @WillB @ab8008 

Thanks so much for sharing on this post and my apologies that its taken a few days to follow up on this. Unfortunately, at this time, there are some known errors that occur with Outlook, specifically for the following versions:  

• Outlook Office 365 - Windows 10
  • Outlook 2013 - Windows 7
  • Outlook 2010 - Windows 7
  • Outlook 2016 - Windows 7
  • Outlook 2019 - Windows 10

As @WillB pointed out, this doesn’t actually happen for all versions for Outlook, as Outlook through Apple desktop renders significantly better than Outlook 2016 on Windows. 

The Klaviyo team is actively investigating this, and are looking to make improvements to the template editor overall, so there may be updates specifically for Outlook rendering issues. 

This is the full article on specific callouts for Outlook support on Klaviyo. I’ll leave this post open and unresolved for now, and will follow up on this thread when I find out more details on this from the team. 

Thanks, 
-Cass. 

Badge +1

Hi Cassy.lee,

Do you have any update on this? Do you have a timeline for a solution?

I recognise there are rendering issues with legacy Outlook clients, but improper rendering of paragraph tags isn’t one of the usual problems (and a pretty important thing to get right!)

Badge +1

I’m having an issue where Outlook 2016 and 2019 on Windows 10 is adding 1px horizontal white lines between blocks--seemingly randomly. It’s making us crazy!

I know for start ups and consumer retail, Outlook is irrelevant, but if you’re selling to large businesses, Outlook for Windows is still very important to support fully.

Badge +1

Same issue here - possible deal breaker. Any solutions yet?

Badge

same issue here, but losing my hopes since this has not been updated in 5 months

Userlevel 7
Badge +58

Hi there @carrington,

From Outlook 2007 onwards, Microsoft stopped using Internet Explorer to render emails and instead opted to use Microsoft Word as its rendering engine. This creates a less than ideal environment for email marketers and developers who use HTML. Unfortunately, this is not an issue within Klaviyo, but across the Email Service Provider industry. We outline the issue in more detail in the following Help Center Article: My Email Looks Different When Viewed in Microsoft Outlook

To give you an idea of how this presents itself as an issue for email marketers, we’ve copied and pasted an HTML web page into a Word document to show you how Word translates HTML. You can see that the result leaves much to be desired.

?name=834f9d9d-856a-45f8-877f-71fdfdc7b4a2.gif

You are welcome to use email preview services like Litmus or Email on Acid to see what your emails would look like on different platforms, but ultimately emails viewed within Outlook will look different than they would in all other email clients.

I hope I’ve given you some clarity about this edge case issue with Outlook.

Badge

Hi @alex.hong .

I understand that outlook changed rendering engines BUT, same email code sent from mailchimp or PHP mail function dont show white lines on outlook, making this a klaviyo issue.

klaviyo engine is somehow editing the code changing the result on outlook

this is a image from a email sent on klaviyo and visualized on outlook 365:

same exact code sent on mailchimp and visualized on same version of outlook:

Userlevel 7
Badge +58

Hi there @carrington ,

Thank you for providing the example.

If this is specific to Outlook 365 and Windows Mail (which are both Microsoft products), you would have to play around with the image to get it to render the way you want in those two clients. Adjusting the padding on the template to see how it renders in those clients is a good place to start. 

?name=inline14217293.png

Hope this helped,

Alex

Badge

Hi @alex.hong 

the email is custom coded. no paddings are used anywhere. as i mentioned before, the problem is not the email code (because php mail function and mailchimp can send it with no white line problems).

problem is that klaviyo is changing the code when is sent, introducing the white spaces. is there a way that klaviyo can send the code with no changes?

@carrington  are you still having this problem? my works on web dev guy worked out that the editor adds unnecessary code every time you change something in the editor. It could be doing something similar for you. we had to go back in and delete all the unnecessary stuff in the code for all our text boxes and this seemed to solve weird text issues going into outlook 365, particularly on pc desktop. 

this is 100% a Klaviyo issue and not an outlook issue.

Userlevel 7
Badge +60

Hi @KatieF

You’re right that following our recommendations on clearing hidden inline styling can help display issues as mentioned below! 

https://community.klaviyo.com/email%2Dtemplates%2Dand%2Dcoupons%2D32/new%2Dand%2Dclassic%2Deditors%2Dclearing%2Dexternal%2Dstyles%2D4571

-Taylor