Interview

AMA: Magento2, Updated with video response!

• 15 August 2022
  • 8 replies
AMA: Magento2, Updated with video response!
Userlevel 7
Badge +60

:Updated 11/1/2022:

Hey Klaviyo Community! You asked and we answered. Here are the questions and answers that you wanted for Magento2. Watch the video below. You can find the specific questions and where to find the answer in the video below also. I have also included linked resources discussed in the video for each question. 

1.  My experience with ecom platforms is limited to BigCommerce and Shopify, and I’ve found that there can sometimes be issues with features from Klaviyo not always being available outside of Shopify - ie persistent cart rebuilding doesn’t work on BC & Klaviyo. For those of you who are experienced with Magento, are there any “gotchas” when it comes to Klaviyo I should be aware of? 0:25

2. I have a question regarding the Abandoned Cart Flow we implemented on this account. We want to optimize the flow since the results so far have been lacking. Are there any additional adjustments needed in the Magento 2 shopping cart, especially around the Persistent Cart option, which we've currently disabled. 1:44

3. We have synced our Magento store to our Klaviyo account, but our catalog is not showing anything from our Magento store. The only items are from our previously synced Shopify account, but we are no longer using that platform. Please advise on how to get our Magento catalog to show for emails. 2:24

1. https://help.klaviyo.com/hc/en-us/articles/115001002272-How-to-contact-support 

4. I've been encountering an issue where I can't seem to add dynamic coupon codes when sending out a campaign. I have set up a dynamic code called WONDERLAND15 in Magento 2 and using a string of code in my template, but I get an error message when I attempt to send the campaign. Why can’t I use a dynamic coupon code? 3:14

5. I wanted to start the SMS marketing, so I just wanted to confirm a few things before we make the final decision. Do we need to ask my website users to sign up for an SMS subscription?  We are taking the contact number on the checkout page, when any visitor is placing the order at that time they need to provide the contact number. Is that all we need? 4:13

Want to make sure that your data is flowing properly from your Magento store to your Klaviyo account? Need help determining which version to use and how to set up OAuth? Need a little hand holding through the process?

Once you have integrated with Magento you probably have some more questions or ideas you might want some feedback on. The Klaviyo Community in partnership with our Magento product manager want to answer any of the questions you might have! Please add your questions to this thread or submit this Google form to get your questions answered or get advice from our experts!

Check back in to the Klaviyo Community at the end of October for all the answers to your integration with Magento questions!

8 replies

Badge +2

Will Klaviyo only start to understand browsing site visitors from the point at which Klaviyo and Magento2 are integrated?  If it does in fact have the ability to somehow know legacy known users, how does that work as they would only be known via a Magento cookie.  It seems that knowing a site visitor is dependent upon the existence of a Klaviyo cookie.

Userlevel 7
Badge +60

Hey @AndrewTX,

This would all depend on your definition of “browsing site visitors”. Similar to any other ecommerce integration that Klaviyo offers a native connect with (Shopify, BigCommerce, WooCommerce), historical data is synced to Klaviyo. This would include customers who have previously purchased or triggered other events such as started checkout, which in turn would be considered historic site visitors. 

However, assuming what you mean by “browsing site visitors” as users who have triggered an active onsite metric or viewed product event, then you’re spot on. Since these are custom events native to Klaviyo, they would not be recorded without the Klaviyo cookies present. 

David  

Badge +2

The problem is that legacy known users (those cookied via Magento), once Klaviyo becomes the source of subscribers, are now unknown.  While they are known to the lists for segmenting and outbounding within Klaviyo, they are NOT known as browsing or abandon cart users until which time they trigger an event (signup AGAIN for newsletter or purchase a product).  So with respect to tracking and attributing on-site behavior to a known human, that is all lost until it becomes rebuilt over time which  can take years.  Is this thinking correct?  And is there a way to leverage the existence of a Magento placed cookie and from within Magento, transfer that site visitor persona to Klaviyo at which time a previously known site visitor returns so we can continue to attribute on-site behavior to known site visitors?

Userlevel 7
Badge +60

Hey @AndrewTX,

For the most part, I would say your notions are correct. However, it seems like you’re actually talking about two separate aspects. Both of which work hand-in-and with one another: historic data and identification method.

For starters, both Klaviyo and Magento are two separate platforms. After integrating with Klaviyo, only select data - primarily conversion data and customer data, are synced to Klaviyo as part of the historic sync. This means historic Magento events such as site behaviors taken before the integration are not shared with Klaviyo. You can see in our Magento 2 data reference Help Center article that only the following metrics are shared:

I believe this is the disconnect you’re mentioning where you aren’t able to see historical site behaviors in Klaviyo. A common way to alleviate this though, would be to manually sync that data into Klaviyo. This can be done either through .CSV or API

Despite this, this wouldn’t account for the identification tracking. Unfortunately, this goes back to Klaviyo and Magento being two separate platforms which has their own user identification methods. However, this can be resolved by updating and using an alternative identification method outside of the standard email address that Klaviyo uses. 

To learn more about this, I would recommend taking a look at our Track API reference Developer guide. Keep in mind that if you choose to use your own unique identifier with the $id key, you take on the full responsibility of identity management within your Klaviyo account as I’ve mentioned prior in the below Community post:

David

Badge +2

Thanks for your response David.  I understand all that you note above and Im clear on what data moves between the two systems and how.  My point is that Klaviyo touts its ability to trigger flows based on abandon browse and abandon cart, however, what is not made clear is that it can only do so for those site visitors for which Klaviyo itself has de-anonymized the site visitor via its own cookie event.  IOW, it has no ability to inherit Magento’s understanding of a site visitor. 

If I have been running my Magento webstore for 5 years and have that much historical understanding of site visitors based on native Magento functionality which is integrated with MailChimp for triggered outbounding that Im now replacing with Klaviyo, Im starting from Zero in understanding site visitors, absent using the API methods to move information beyond what the native Klaviyo to Magento extension and integration perform.  And bridging that gap with customizations is messy.  My reason for posting was to see if there was a better technical solution that I havent discovered to solve this beyond the standard or Track APIs.

Userlevel 7
Badge +60

Hey @AndrewTX,

Have you added in an identify/profiles call at the point that your native Magento site identifies a visitor? 

You’re correct that Klaviyo can’t out-of-the-box inherit Magento’s understanding of a site visitor, but using this method would help bridge this gap you’re talking about. I.E. whenever an existing customer returns to your site and is recognized by Magento, this subsequent call will then be shared with Klaviyo. 

David

Badge +2

Tell me more!  This sounds like exactly what I was in search of.  Is there some place you can point me to dig in deeper?

Thanks!

Userlevel 7
Badge +60

Hey @AndrewTX,

I would recommend checking out our JavaScript API for identification and tracking and Identify API reference Developer Guides.

They’ll instruct and provide an example script you can use on either the front end or your backend depending on how things are setup on your end.

David