Solved

Best practice: Klaviyo and Shopify Double Opt

• 11 August 2022
  • 2 replies

Badge +3

Hi community,

I’m just finalizing the sync between Shopify and Klaviyo and am wondering what the best practice for the double opt in (DOI) process is with those two systems.

I set the sync up in a way that all my Shopify contacts get transferred to my main list. In this main list I have DOI set up, so everyone who enters this list will receive a confirmation email.

In my understanding, I think it will be sufficient to just turn off Shopify’s own DOI to avoid that Shopify contact receive two confirmation emails from both systems. However, in this forum I now often read that Shopify subscribes all contacts to marketing info if DOI is turned off - which would of course be bad.

In general, you either get into my shop’s database by buying a product or creating an account. In both cases, there is a checkbox to sig up for the newsletter, which is currently triggering the Shopify DOI email.

If I turn off Shopify DOI, will only the contacts that have checked this box get into Klaviyo and receive the Klaviyo DOI, or will Shopify suddenly mark everyone as a subscriber (which would be very weird).

In any way, is there anything else to consider when syncing Shopify marketing contacts to the main list and turning off the Shopify DOI?

Thanks a lot!

All the best

Max

icon

Best answer by alex.hong 12 August 2022, 01:27

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +58

Hi @DRMax,

Let me try and give some guidance and info on your situation.

If you’re confident that all Shopify captured emails should go into the same List to trigger the same Flow, then you can set the same List in the Shopify Integration settings in Klaviyo.

From the Klaviyo admin sidebar, go to Integrations → Shopify.

Then select that List in the dropdown where you want emails from Shopify to go into. 

Here’s some documentation for you to reference too:

Users who accept marketing at checkout but do not complete a purchase will NOT be added to your Klaviyo list. So, in that instance, someone would have the property accepts marketing = true, but won’t appear on your list. This is expected behavior for our Shopify integration.

Would it be possible to create one form on your Shopify page that instead just links directly to Klaviyo? 

I would also recommend reading through our articles on this if you have not already:

How to Sync Shopify Account Registration Customers to a List

Getting started with Shopify

Thanks.

Alex

Badge

Hi Max, I ran into the same issue.

I want to offer my customers a Shopify sign up form (in the footer) and one Pop up from Klaviyo. I also ran into the problem that customers get two emails, which is pretty confusing. However I think I found a good workaround.

First, to answer your question: Yes, if you turn off Shopify DOI, Shopify will mark every customer, that checks the Marketing Checkbox in Checkout, as “Accepts Marketing”. So I think that just turning off Shopify DOI for Klaviyo to work, is a bad idea.

So here’s what I’ve done:

1. Create a new list in Klaviyo
  2. Turn off DOI for that list
    • that way the customers won’t receive 2 DOI emails
  3. Go to Integration Settings → Collect email Subscribers → change it to the new list you created
    • so the subscribers that sign up through shopify get added to that list and everyone who subscribes to the Klaviyo Pop-up or Embed-Form, gets Subscribed to the main Klaviyo List
  4. Edit Shopify Form
    • add <input type="hidden" name="contact[tags]" value="newsletter, prospect"> to it through the Shopify Theme Editor
    • now all Shopify Customers that subscribe get tagged with “newsletter” and therefore will be added in Klaviyo, once they confirm the Shopify DOI mail
  5. Create a new Segment
    • it should add People from the main list OR the new created list
    • also it should take out people that don’t accept marketing, because then people can unsubscribe through the Shopify System → they get marked as “Accepts Marketing: false” and therefore won’t appear in the segment

Now you can send mails through that segment and therefore combine the world of Shopify with Klaviyo!

I still run into some issues:

• When I send mails, the unsubscribe link in the footer leads to the Klaviyo unsubscribe page. They get unsubscribed from that list in Klaviyo, but still accept Marketing in the shopify system. And when they resubscribe through the Klaviyo Subscribe Page, they can enter the list without receiving a DOI Mail, which is not good.

Now I could change the link in the footer to lead to shopify Unsubscribe Page, but that would also mean, that I have to send two different E-Mails for the two lists - one with Shopify unsubscribe link and one with klaviyo unsubscribe link.

However, I hope that this will help somebody!