Solved

BigCommerce email settings prior to going live with Klaviyo

• 27 June 2021
  • 1 reply

Userlevel 4
Badge +9

Hi folks,

I haven’t been able to get a solid answer from either Klaviyo or BigCommerce support on this, maybe it’s just so obvious it’s going over my head. 

I have the BigCommerce integration almost completely set up for my client, all I have left to do is:

• Add the code to sync newsletter subscribers at check out
  • upload the current subscribers exported from BigCommerce
  • Embed the footer signup form

What I’m not sure of though, is what settings do I turn off or leave active in the BigCommerce email marketing settings? I want all transactional emails to keep being sent by BC for the time being.

Newsletter subscriptions, double opt-ins and welcome emails are all currently being sent via BC, but I’m worried that if I leave these turned on, there will be double-ups with them also being sent via Klaviyo? This seems like something that should be in the integration documentation, but i havent seen it - unless I’m overthinking it and the Klaviyo code intercepts these actions being done by BC.

Please refer to the screenshots below if that helps, thanks! Once I’ve confirmed this I can finally move ahead and get things live.

icon

Best answer by David To 27 June 2021, 16:09

View original

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +60

Hello @wernstrom,

Thanks for sharing your question with the Klaviyo Community!

I’m no expert in BigCommerce, but what settings to use within your BigCommerce backend would depend on your goals and what it is you were trying to accomplish. One thing to keep in mind though is that both Klaviyo and BigCommerce are two separate entities. This means that the settings you have set both within Klaviyo and BigCommerce would run independently of each other. 

For example, if you wanted Klaviyo to handle the abandoned cart emails as opposed to using your own ecommerce’s default abandoned cart functionality, we would advise disabling it within your ecommerce’s backend. Without disabling the setting within your ecommerce backend, both Klaviyo and your ecommerce would be simultaneously sending abandoned cart emails out to your customers. This sort of example is highlighted in the Creating an Abandoned Cart Flow article:

Depending on your ecommerce platform, you may already have a built-in abandoned cart flow that is running. For example, if you use Shopify, you likely already have a Shopify abandoned cart flow. Klaviyo allows you much more customization and targeting than your ecommerce platform’s default abandoned cart flow. In Klaviyo, you can fully customize the content of the email and SMS, add multiple messages, and branch the flow based on things like the value of the item in the cart, and much more. You’ll want to turn off any default platform abandoned cart messages to make sure that you’re not double-messaging anyone.

I would imagine this would also extend to those newsletter settings you have highlighted as well. But I would love to hear what our other Community members who use BigCommerce have to say on this subject and what settings they use as well to learn more!

David