Solved

Handling multilingual catalog items through the Catalog API

• 2 March 2023
  • 3 replies

Badge +2
  • Contributor I
  • 1 reply

We have English and French profiles (their language preference is stored as a property) and would like to start utilizing dynamic product feeds and recommendations. 

What is the recommended way of setting up a Custom Catalog using the Catalogs API so we are able to send emails containing dynamic product blocks in the recipients preferred language?  

Should we be utilizing “custom metatdata” to store translations, urls, etc?  Or should we be creating a Catalog Item in each language for each product?  If the latter, how should we be handling the uniqueness constraint on the Catalog Item “id”?

icon

Best answer by Omar 4 March 2023, 14:44

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +36

Hi @epg!

This use case could be a bit tricky since you can’t create two separate french/english catalogs via the API. However, you might be able to create two different items for each product variant, but then tag them with labels like “French” and “English” - all while keeping them within the same on custom catalog.

Although the items would have the same IDs, you could potentially use dynamic blocks to only show the products that are tagged with the appropriate language.

However, since this would be a custom implementation, you’re always welcome to reach out to one of our wonderful Official Klaviyo Partners for further development help.

Thanks for using the Community!

- Brian

Badge +2

Hi Brian. 

Some clarifying questions. 

However, you might be able to create two different items for each product variant,

Are you recommending that we create a Catalog Variant for each variant in each language? Or a Catalog Item for each langauge? 

but then tag them with labels like “French” and “English”

What would our avenue for tagging be??  Custom Metadata? Categories?

Although the items would have the same IDs

Can multiple Catalog Items or Catalog Variants have the same IDs? 

Thanks!

Userlevel 7
Badge +43

@epg multilanguage is always a pain to configure correctly.

My advice is always to have separate Klaviyo accounts to make sure you keep things separated.

The alternative is to test if you can add a custom data/product source for the languages.

The main issue I think is with things like recommendations around viewed or ordered data. This will only be done on 1 of the sources if I'm not mistaken. 

Anyway the level of issues and possible errors around multilanguage always is a reason for me to suggest moving to separate Klaviyo accounts.

Omar Lovert // Polaris Growth // Klaviyo Master Platinum Partner

We help with e-commerce growth through CRO, Klaviyo and CVO