Solved

Identifying list subscription source from Shopify in Klaviyo

• 8 January 2022
  • 3 replies

Badge +2

We switched over to Shopify a month ago, and everything is working as it should be—except we can't find a way to distinguish between newsletter subscriptions submitted in the footer, slider, and checkout.

Because we base our welcome flows on newsletter subscription sources, is there any way (like via snippet) that we could identify in Klaviyo exactly which field new newsletter subscribers used to subscribe? I know we could plausibly do so with Klaviyo popups or embeds, but would rather the identifier simply be part of the data imported to Klaviyo via integration upon subscription. 

icon

Best answer by Dov 10 January 2022, 17:17

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +61

Hi @James L.,

Thank you for sharing this question with the Klaviyo community.

One solution would involve adding tags to the various Shopify sign-up sources. Each sign-up embed form will contain a field that looks like the following (there may be additional tags under the value field):

<input type="hidden" name="contact[tags]" value="newsletter">

You can add any additional tag(s) you want under the value section. For example, to distinguish a “footer-based” sign-up, you can add the “footer” tag into the code so it looks like this:

<input type="hidden" name="contact[tags]" value="newsletter, footer">

You’d find this code in the Shopify liquid file corresponding to wherever the Shopify footer exists (I’d check theme.liquid and footer.liquid).

In theory, repeat this code “tweak” for the other sign-up form sources with their own unique value. I say in theory for other sign-up form sources because I know this script exists for Shopify’s embed forms (and we have documentation and posts on how to perform this for these types of Shopify forms). But I cannot speak directly to Shopify pop-ups or other types of Shopify forms. 

You may be well advised to check with Shopify on how to achieve this for their other forms, it may be slightly different but my thoughts are it will use the same type of theory.

Moving along, when someone signs-up and confirms their subscription, when this tag is present they’ll have this tag in Klaviyo at which point it can be segmented-upon using Properties about someone > Shopify Tags > contains > footer. That will pull anyone into the segment who has this tag (and thus has also filled out this specific form).

I hope that helps!

Badge +2

Took me awhile to implement and test this response, but it’s 100% spot on and absolutely did the trick in at least helping us identify a few sign-up fields for their appropriate flows. Thank you so much for your answer!

Userlevel 7
Badge +61

Awesome @James L. glad it was helpful!

Thanks for being a member of our community :)