Solved

Is it possible to change the Opt in checkbox at the checkout page for woocommerce?

• 24 January 2022
  • 2 replies

Badge +2

Hi there,

Is there any way to change the opt-in checkbox at checkout to be opt out instead?

The opt-in option is known as Consent
The opt-out option is known as Legitimate Interests, and I believe both are legal in the UK. 

We’re on Woocommerce.

Thanks

Georgia

icon

Best answer by retention 24 January 2022, 19:23

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +57

Hi @geomeach - I’m not super familiar with WooCommerce’s code base or your GDPR compliance in UK, but throwing out an idea to consider.  Since you’re on WooCommerce and you can edit the code/template of the Checkout page, I would recommend just having the checkbox auto-selected instead of inverting its functionality. 

As am example, you can look for the input checkbox in the HTML and set it to checked like this:

<input type="checkbox" class="input-checkbox " name="kl_newsletter_checkbox" id="kl_newsletter_checkbox" value="1" checked="true" />

If that doesn’t work, you can use Javascript to do this after the page renders:

<script type="text/javascript">
window.onload = function() {
document.getElementById('kl_newsletter_checkbox').checked = true
}
</script>

I haven’t tested the Javascript code above, so you may have to adjust it, find the proper placement, or add it to your existing Javascript functions.  But it should give you or your developer a head start!

Userlevel 7
Badge +60

Hi there @geomeach

Welcome to the Community! We are so glad to have you! 

Typically it is recommend against having the ‘accepts marketing’ at checkout checked by default. The reason for this is to prevent the accumulation of passive subscribers who might be more likely to unsubscribe or mark as spam (negatively impacting your deliverability) as previously mentioned. Further explained in the community post linked below. However, @retention gives an incredible potential workaround for your situation here! 

Additionally, we have some documentation that might help  understand how to abide by GDPR complaint best practices.The information provided in this guide is intended to be educational and should not be construed as legal advice. Klaviyo encourages all of our customers — and all ecommerce merchants — to seek legal advice for counsel on how they specifically should ensure that they are GDPR compliant. 

Thanks for your participation in the Community!

-Taylor