Solved

Migrating from BigCommerce to Shopify

• 30 May 2023
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +9

Hi folks,

Later in the year we are moving from BigCommerce to Shopify. I’m aware of the doc here:

https://help.klaviyo.com/hc/en-us/articles/360003124151

… but I think I’m overthinking things. Migrating is essentially setting up a whole new Klaviyo account (with the same login credentials) correct? OR can I use the existing account, and turn off the BC integration and set up the Shopify one?

Thanks!

icon

Best answer by David To 2 June 2023, 22:35

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +36

Hi @wernstrom!

It’s actually recommended that you don’t set up a new account, and use the existing account. You would just have to disable the old integration and re-integrate according to the instructions for the new platform.

In other words - the second option you mentioned would be recommended!

I hope this helps to clarify, and thanks for using the Community!

- Brian

Userlevel 4
Badge +9

Thanks @Brian Turcotte , that makes sense. 

Once the new integration is set up, for flows that might have their triggers change (not necessarily what the trigger is, but where it’s coming from etc) would it be best to turn them to manual, update where necessary then turn live again? Or clone them? I’d be a bit worried about data getting messed up if something was not passing along exactly the same info as the BC integration.

Thanks!

Badge +2

Following - I have the same questions. I would prefer having my flows and sign-up form ready to go at launch.

Userlevel 7
Badge +60

Hey @wernstrom,

Adding onto @Brian Turcotte’s great points, this really depends on entirely how things are setup and the timing of the migration. 

For example, I’ve seen some brands keep running on their original ecommerce platform until they decide to cut over to their new platform. When this happens, users may still be going through some flows. But because the old platform is either no longer connected or live, you can keep those metric triggered flows associated with the original platform Live and run their course. Since no new metrics would be triggered from the original ecommerce platform, it wouldn’t cause any issues like users going through the same or similar flow twice. 

You may need to take a different approach though if you were migrating your backend data from BigCommerce to Shopify though. If you are, I would advise migrating that data before your migration and with any of your Shopify flows turned off or in draft mode. 

I’ve seen instances where the flows were still live and because those metrics were recognized, triggered their corresponding flows. Backpopulating may also cause a similar phenomenon. 

@aamberrt, something that may also be helpful to understand is that if you’re connecting a new ecommerce platform - not the same as your original one - you can actually connect it ahead of time. This allows you to build out your flows and set things up in advance for the migration. 

I hope this helps clarify some things! 

David

Userlevel 4
Badge +9

Thanks so much @David To , I have quite a lot of time before the migration happens, and it sounds like keeping the same account in place and just turning off the BC integration/turning on the Shopify integration is the way to go. 

Considering this, could you please clarify a bit further on what you mean by “migrating backend data from BigCommerce to Shopify”? Do you mean sales/order data? For this client I am only responsible for the email marketing - and it doesn’t sound like I would need to take any action as far as the master list of subscribers. I could essentially leave that as-is and Klaviyo would treat it the same regardless of which integration was bringing in the new profiles - correct?

Regarding flows and reporting… take for example a checkout recovery flow - would it be sufficient to update the trigger for a flow like this (making sure it’s firing off the correct Shopify event) so that the reporting isn’t interrupted? If I cloned or created new flows for the Shopify integration it would get messy having a bunch of flows archived and losing the historic data (in reports at least).

Thanks again, I appreciate your assistance! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +60

Hey @wernstrom,

Happy to provide more clarification.

When I mean “migrating backend data from BigCommerce to Shopify” I do mean the backend sales and order data/history. 

Regarding flows, it wouldn’t be sufficient just to update the trigger of a flow. I.E. switching an existing flow triggered by a BigCommerce Started Checkout metric to a Shopify Started Checkout metric. For starters, you don’t actually have the capabilities to change/update a flow trigger once it’s been set. 

This means, you would need to either clone the existing BigCommerce flows - which would allow you to change/update the flow trigger or create new flows using the Shopify metrics. I typically suggest the latter for 2 reasons:

1. Even if you did clone the existing BigCommerce flows to update the trigger, you’ll need to update the dynamic variables and rebuild the dynamic blocks to align.
  2. We already offer pre-built flows you can leverage and use

When it comes to reporting, archived flows are actually still reflected in your account’s analytics, custom reports, and dashboard by default. Though, you can also exclude them if you want. 

David

Badge

For migrating from BigCommerce to Shopify, you can use your existing Klaviyo account. Simply disable the BigCommerce integration and set up the Shopify one. To transfer data seamlessly, consider using Skyvia. It can help migrate necessary data to Shopify, ensuring a smooth transition without the need for a new Klaviyo account. Skyvia's integration capabilities make it easy to manage and synchronize data across different e-commerce platforms.