Solved

Sending Profiles to another account via API

Badge +1

I am a software engineer that represents a company which, in short, collects emails on behalf of a business. That business wants the collected emails sent to their own Klaviyo account (via api, on demand as we receive them). Any documentation or message board threads only speak to sending to your own Klaviyo account. So I have a couple of questions…

1. Is there a way to send emails to a Klaviyo account that you do not own via API? If so, is there documentation available?
  2. What is a Klaviyo Partner? Is this the direction I should be heading? Is this an app I would develop that any brand could install, which would then give me access to their account to send the emails to?
  3. Followup to 3… how would we become a Klaviyo Partner?
icon

Best answer by David To 27 May 2022, 22:38

View original

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +58

Hello @alex_showdrop,

Welcome to the Community.

So what you are trying to achieve would actually be against our Acceptable Use policy for the reason of "list sharing". List-sharing is against our Terms of Service, so unless a profile explicitly subscribed to the specific brand, you can't share the lists between the accounts.

Sending emails to an account you do not own would not work as you would also not have consent given to you to send to those emails. A similar situation and explanation can be found here:

We do have a Partner Program and resources you can learn more about. On this page, you can apply to the program and once you do a member of our Partner Team will be in touch. 

Thank you,

Alex

Badge +1

So what you are trying to achieve would actually be against our Acceptable Use policy for the reason of "list sharing". List-sharing is against our Terms of Service, so unless a profile explicitly subscribed to the specific brand, you can't share the lists between the accounts.

Hi @alex.hong  thanks for the response. Let me briefly give you a little more context about our business:

We are a startup that runs various marketing campaigns on behalf of e-commerce brands. As part of a given brand's campaign, prospective customers give us their email in exchange for a discount code to be used on that brand's website. So in essence we are just passing emails on to the brand as part of a standard email list sign-up in exchange for a discount code, the same way the brand does it on their website, which we feel doesn't go against the Klaviyo TOS.

So right now, those emails are delivered manually, however we would love to develop a way to automate this.

Thanks

Userlevel 7
Badge +58

Hi @alex_showdrop,

Thanks for the context. Technically speaking it wouldn't be a standard email signup occurring. Collecting those emails and passing them back to the master brand you are working with is still considered list sharing. These customers subscribed and signed up to the Showdrop brand and not the master brand.

Best,

Alex

Badge +1

Thanks for replying @alex.hong !

To clarify, For each brand display, there is no Showdrop branding anywhere -- the customer is only engaging with the master brand and is for all intents and purposes signing up with the master brand and not signing up with Showdrop.

Does this change anything?

Userlevel 7
Badge +60

Hey @alex_showdrop,

If subscribers are only engaging with the master brand and subscribing through them, what would the need/point of sending profiles from one Klaviyo account to another via API? I’m just trying to further understand the need for this “middle-man” account where these contacts would be collected and redirected back to the master brand. 

As @alex.hong has previously mentioned, the act of collecting contacts and redirecting them from one account/brand to another is against Klaviyo’s TOS and acceptable use policy even if the redirecting account is using the same branding as the master account. Unless these subscribers are collected directly from a specific brand, any sharing of these contacts would be a violation. 

An example of this would be brands that have an international presence. For example, if a brand has both a US and CA (Canada) presence, subscribers who signup to the newsletter on the US site would only be considered for their US account/brand. Although the branding, logos, products, etc. are all matching, any sharing of contacts between the US account/brand to the CA account/brand would be a violation.

Not only would this be list sharing, this would be a breach of the subscriber’s consent which hold larger implications on a number of regulations such as CAN-SPAM, CCPA, GDPR, CASTL, PECR, and various other ones. 

David

Badge +1

Thanks so much for the detailed reply @David To! We definitely don’t want to violate Klaviyo’s TOS or breach any of the other regulations you listed.

Let me give an example of what we’d be hoping to do to help clarify, and I’d massively appreciate your thoughts on whether or not this constitutes a violation, as I’m still a bit unclear. As an example, let’s say one of our clients is an e-commerce brand that sells backpacks on their website but doesn’t have a physical presence. On the brand’s behalf, we would set up an unmanned pop-up display in a busy location (let’s say a hotel lobby), where people can discover the brand and test/feel the quality of the backpacks. If a person likes the backpacks, they can scan a QR-code to receive a promo code for 25% off their next purchase on the brand’s website, in exchange for giving their email to the brand to be signed up for the brand’s marketing list. We are powering the QR-code system through our own web app, and hence we are the ones collecting the email addresses on behalf of the brand. The customer however would never need to know this, as we are not using the emails for anything other than passing them on to the brand, which is clearly stated as part of the email entry flow in our app. The idea behind the Klaviyo integration would be to allow an automated way for us to pass these emails to the brand as they are collected at the brand’s product display, rather than manually sending them.

In your opinion, does this still violate the TOS and various regulations you cited?

Thanks,

Alex

Userlevel 7
Badge +60

Hey @alex_showdrop,

This would constitute as a violation. 

From your own description, this still doesn’t change the fact that you’re collecting email addresses/subscribers and sharing them with another brand from one Klaviyo account to another. From a compliance standpoint, the description of this strategy you’re inquiring about can also be misconstrued as impersonating an alternate brand.

I’m highly suspect for the need of this sort of strategy. In my opinion, what you’re describing can all be achieved and managed directly from one Klaviyo account - you’re client’s own Klaviyo account. For example, why would the QR code need to direct to your own signup form when instead it could be linked to your client’s own signup form. In fact, this would also alleviate a lot of the pain points as the subscription could also be used to trigger a flow in your client’s own Klaviyo account to offer a discount code directly. As a matter of fact, this experience is considered a Welcome Series and is a very common strategy to entice subscribers.

If your business is meant to assist in setting up this sort of experience, I would highly suggest taking advantage of our multi-account user privileges function. For many agencies or contractors, this feature allows them to help make changes and adjustments in their client’s account who have granted them access based on the permissions assigned to them.

David

Userlevel 7
Badge +43

@David To so the only way would be if @alex_showdrop has their own site providing a service where customers can create an account and connect their own Klaviyo account through normal integration. Sending out the emails could then only be done by 1. their clients who've connected their own klaviyo account maybe sending a message automated through the API or 2. they need to send this through their own systems and only push data in Klaviyo as a normal integration would?

Not sure if this is what you're trying to accomplish @alex_showdrop 

Omar