Solved

Started Checkout new customer Woocommerce

Badge +1

Hello,

Can a new customer i.e. a customer that does not have an account trigger ‘started checkout’. We have a stepped cart in Woocommerce, with the email on the first step.

Thank you...

icon

Best answer by David To 9 June 2022, 21:25

View original

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +44

Hi @BTStore maybe this article is worth checking out since you have a custom solution

https://developers.klaviyo.com/en/docs/guide-to-integrating-a-platform-without-a-pre-built-klaviyo-integration#started-checkout

Indeed as @David To mentions you need to identify them and you could do this both front and backend.

Please also check the Identify and Track API's
https://developers.klaviyo.com/en/docs/identify-api-reference
https://developers.klaviyo.com/en/docs/track-api-reference

Your developers should be able to fix this especially if you already have their email address

Userlevel 7
Badge +60

Hey @BTStore,

I don’t see why not! The key here is that the new customer would just need to be identified/cookied prior to checking out.

When our Reviewing Your WooCommerce Data Help Center article mentioned that a Started Checkout event can be triggered when a customer adds something to their cart, views the checkout page, enters a billing email address, the action of the user entering a billing email address identifies and cookies the user in order to be traceable to record the Started Checkout metric. This same theory actually translates to all of the standard ecommerce integrations Klaviyo has where so long as a user is identified prior to checking out, a Started Checkout can be recorded. 

So it sounds to me like your custom checkout page is missing the capability to identify/cookie users when they enter their email address on the first step which is why it’s unable to record a Started Checkout event for new unidentified users but is for users who are logged in (since they are cookied and identified). 

David

Badge +1

Hello David,

Can I clarify that a Klaviyo ‘Started Checkout’ (also abandoned cart flow) event can be triggered by a new/not registered customer i.e. someone who is not a current wordpress/woocommerce user? 

Kind regards,

Craig

Badge +1

Hello David,

As mentioned it is a custom multistep checkout that we created ourselves.

Before I move forward with a developer can I clarify that a Klaviyo ‘Started Checkout’ (also abandoned cart flow) event can be triggered by a new customer i.e. someone who is not a current wordpress/woocommerce user? 

Kind regards,

Craig

Userlevel 7
Badge +60

Hey @BTStore,

I’m not to sure what you mean by “stepped checkout”. Did you just mean you have a multi-step checkout page? 

I’d also be curious to know if your multi-step checkout page happened to be a custom checkout page or one provided as part of your WooCommerce site. From your explanation, it sounds like the first step in your checkout process may not be cookieing and identifying users. In my experience, this typically occurs if you’re using a third-party or custom checkout method that isn’t linked directly back to WooCommerce to record a WooCommerce Started Checkout event or if it isn’t integrated/connected to Klaviyo. Unlike when users are already logged into their account which identifies and cookies the visitor, it sounds like this is not occurring for the first step in your checkout process when they provide an email address.

In a case such as this, you’ll typically want to see if the third-party checkout provider either has an integration with Klaviyo or may require some additional custom work in order to identify these users on this page. Since this pertains directly to your ecommerce platform and may require some custom work, I would suggest working alongside a developer. You can also find some resources found in our Developer Portal that could prove helpful. I’ve also included some relevant Community posts below where i’ve explained a similar behavior:

David

Badge +1

Hello Omar,

Yes correct.

Hello David,

So the first action of your two is working and the second isn’t. We have a stepped checkout https://www.blueticking.co.uk/ and on the first step the customer enter an email address. The started checkout event is only triggering if a person is logged in. We have created the stepped checkout ourselves i.e. not a plugin.

Kind regards,

Craig

Userlevel 7
Badge +44

@BTStore I'm not sure I completely understand your question, could you rephrase that?

What are you trying to accomplish and what's not working?

Do you mean your not getting a checkout started event in Klaviyo? And because of this you're unable to send an abandoned cart email?

Omar

Userlevel 7
Badge +60

Hello @BTStore,

Great question!

As mentioned in our Reviewing Your WooCommerce Data Help Center article, a Started Checkout event is triggered when a customers takes one of the following actions:

• A customer is logged into their account, has added something to their cart, then views the checkout page
  • A customer adds something to their cart, views the checkout page, enters a billing email address

These two behaviors are similar to how a Started Checkout event would be recorded on any native ecommerce integration such as Shopify or BigCommerce. 

I hope this helps!

David