Recap discussion: [Interactive workshop] Power your Facebook ads using Klaviyo segments (for large and mid-market businesses)

• 3 April 2023
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +7

Whether you’re looking for the replay of today’s session or to catch up with some of our additional resources, you’ve come to the right place! You’ll find everything you need below.

Facebook, Instagram, and Messenger are powerful tools to promote your brand and gain new leads. But with advertising becoming more and more expensive, reaching the right audience is more crucial than ever! Using your trusted Klaviyo segment data as the basis for custom and lookalike audiences, we show you how to gain more ownership over the customer journey when advertising on these channels.

In this session, we cover:

• Enabling the Facebook integration in your Klaviyo account

• Building a segment to be used as a custom audience

• Building a segment to be used as a lookalike audience

• Syncing these segments to Facebook Ads Manager

ADDITIONAL RESOURCES

Getting started with Facebook Advertising 

Facebook integration data reference

Guide to advanced targeting on Facebook & Instagram 

How to determine your Facebook audience sync strategy

How to create a Lookalike Audience on Facebook Ads Manager

Academy course: Grow your business with Klaviyo’s Facebook Advertising integration

Neil Patel on how to do paid social without cookies

Growth division on the cookieless future for marketers

Let us know in the comments below which Klaviyo segments you’ll be using as custom audiences!

6 replies

Badge +2

Hello Jemma, 

Thank you for this video - very, very helpful. Two questions for you:

1. I am actually a small business but missed that session. Is there anything else in addition I should be aware of. What was the difference between this video and the one for small businesses?
  2. Do you have an Interactive Workshop Video available for Google Ads? And if not, is there one planned?  

Thanks

Emily 

Thanks for the training on how to integrate Klaviyo with Facebook. This integration could possibly improve my workflow depending on the questions I have stated below:

I created my Klaviyo-Facebook integration...Now the fun starts...

When I export my Klaviyo segment I want as much information as possible to get the most accurate audience: Email, First Name, Last Name, Phone Number, City, State, Country, Zipcode.

These are the fields accepted by Facebook Custom Audience list. Note: I'm aware of the option data "customer value" however I haven't tested this yet.

Question: What data is actually pushed to Facebook from Klaviyo?

(Note: Less data would create a less accurate Facebook audience) 

I've created the audience shown in the training: 30-day engaged, not buyers segment, with the "Apple Privacy Open" equals false.

My Klaviyo segment is 5741 profiles.

Facebook Estimated Audience Size 1900-2300.

Question: Why the massive difference in audience size?

(Note: This would affect creating my LAL)

To dive deeper into the difference in audience size I was about to export the same list and import this manually into Facebook audience. But Klaviyo now displays:

"Something went wrong while starting your export. Please try again or contact support"

I've tried multiple times to export the list with the same error message."

I've also tried to export different Klaviyo segments that aren't even synced with the Facebook integration, same error message.

Help🙂

Thanks!

John

Userlevel 3
Badge +7

@John Spark thank you so much for your detailed questions! I hope I can clear some things up for you:

1. Klaviyo looks for the people within your Klaviyo account that match your segment definition, and those folks’ email addresses are pushed to Facebook. So the ‘data refinement’ if you want to call it that is done on the Klaviyo side. Facebook then receives the email addresses, matches the email addresses to people who actually have Facebook using those emails and using their own data, they will associate the first name, last name, ZIP etc with the synced emails. Here is an article on the data shared with Facebook: https://help.klaviyo.com/hc/en-us/articles/360039002832-Facebook-integration-data-reference
  2. This leads very nicely onto your second question which was why the discrepancy between the number of profiles in the Klaviyo segment and the audience size on Facebook. Unfortunately this discrepancy will almost always exist to varying degrees when syncing data from an ESP to Facebook. The answer why is simple - not everyone in your Klaviyo segment is a Facebook user, and if they are, they potentially do not use the same email they used to opt into your email marketing as they do for Facebook.
  3. If you have followed all the steps in this article https://help.klaviyo.com/hc/en-us/articles/115005078687 and it’s still not working, then the best thing to do is to contact support as they can have a look into your account which I cannot.

Let me know if you have questions on the above, and good luck with your Facebook ads!

Userlevel 3
Badge +7

@emilycavanagh 

Hi Emily! I am glad you enjoyed the recording :) Honestly for this session the differences were very minimal as it’s the same process whatever your business size, so I would not worry too much - I just checked the small business deck and it is the same, the hosts may just have explained concepts in a little more detail. Here is the recording if you want to take a look: 

We don’t have a Google Ads interactive workshop planned but I do have two resources to share with you:

Academy course: Grow your business with Klaviyo’s Google Ads integration

Hope those are helpful and best of luck!

Badge +2

Thanks Jemma, 

I’ve taken the Google course. Very helpful. Alas my audiences are very small. A question for you: Should I still sync these small audiences? Yes, because Goggle will learn about characteristics of my customers, so it’s not a waste. Or No, there’s no value to gain until the audiences are bigger? 

Same question for Facebook - should I bother with those small segments?

Emily 

Userlevel 3
Badge +7

@emilycavanagh I’m so glad you enjoyed the course! 

If your audiences contain less than 100 people, there’s not much point syncing them to FB/Google as they will not be accepted by either platform unless there’s more than 100 people in them sadly. I would wait for the audience to get bigger as I don’t think Google/Facebook actively ‘learn’ about the synced audiences unless they’re being used in the advertising context! But try creating segments with wider parameters and hopefully they will have more people in them :)