Solved

Creating a Segment of People Currently Within a Flow

• 6 August 2021
  • 1 reply

Badge +3

Is it possible to create a segment of people that are currently within a flow? For example, if I wanted to send a campaign email but exclude anyone who is currently in my welcome flow, is that possible? 

I know that smart sending is the way to avoid multiple emails within a time period, but ideally I would be able to exclude people based on being in a flow or not.

icon

Best answer by David To 16 August 2021, 23:15

View original

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +60

Hello @msauer,

Great question!

Although it is not exactly possible to create a segment of customers currently going through a flow, you can come close. You can accomplish this by creating a segment rule evaluating customers who have received the first email in your Welcome Series flow and has not received the last email in your welcome series flow. To do so you can use the segment definitions of “What someone has done, Received Email at least once over X timeframe where Message equals X (First Email in the Welcome Series Flow) AND What someone has done, Received Email zero times over X timeframe where Message equals X (Last Email in the Welcome Series Flow).

Similar to the strategy mentioned above, you can also incorporate Update Profile Property steps in your flow such as at the beginning or the end of your flow. Doing so will allow you to tag customer who have entered and/or completed the flow or have reached a certain step in the flow. It doesn’t change the strategy I had mentioned, but instead would just allow you to use a different set of definition rules. 

More information on using an Update Profile Property step and how properties work can be found in the following Help Center articles:

@DavidSandel also has a great post on how to set up and utilize the Update Profile Property function in the below Community post:

I hope this helps! Have a great day!

David