Solved

Setup a 2-way sync between Shopify metafields or tags

• 10 January 2023
  • 7 replies

Badge +2

Hello, 

Looking to keep all customer data in one place. Since there are so many apps that sync with Shopify, it makes sense to keep the customer data in Shopify. The idea is to use Tags or use Shopify Customer Metafields to house First-party and Zero-party data, etc… Here is where I am at in my understanding of these 2 options to keep everything synced.

TAGS: Klaviyo pulls in Shopify tags, but if you are using Klaviyo forms to capture customer data, the data becomes silo’d in Klaviyo, and does not get passed back into Shopify. 

METAFIELDS: Do not sync out of the box in either direction. 

Has anyone setup something similar and found solutions for this use case?

icon

Best answer by alex.hong 11 January 2023, 04:02

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +58

Hi @Khard ,

Thanks for sharing in the Community.

You are right that the integration only passes information in one direction with very few exceptions. (i.e. from Shopify to Klaviyo). In regards to exceptions, you can Sync a few fields from Klaviyo into Shopify. This article provides a great breakdown: How to Sync Fields from Klaviyo to Shopify

I am curious as well what other community members have done to set up Shopify to Klaviyo aside from what we have written in our help center articles. Are you looking to just integrate data (tags and metafields) from Klaviyo back to Shopify only?

Badge +2

Thanks for the reply Alex. 

The grand idea is that Shopify would be the source of truth on customer properties, in the form of tags or metafields (metafields preferred as there is validation controls and structure to them). 

This would allow other apps, to read/write to Shopify, and keep all these fields in sync across the different apps used. Almost like a mini CDP. ie: Gorgias reps can see context around customers, or we can build custom quizzes that update metafields and Klaviyo can segment based on these values. 

As everything is centered around Shopify, it just makes sense to keep Shopify as the source of truth.

Badge

I want to have flows add tags to shopify customers. The set up is possible in Klaviyo flows but it doesn’t seem to sync back to Shopify. Any ideas on how to trigger this to sync?

Userlevel 7
Badge +60

Hey @bhawker,

I’ve heard some members have success using webhooks to achieve a similar goal. Though, it would all depend on your overall goal as you wouldn’t be able to trigger a webhook in Klaviyo from a profile property change. 

An example use case I’ve seen is someone triggering a flow from a Placed Order metric with filters targeting just their subscription products. This is followed up by an update profile property action which tags the member as making a subscription purchase. Then comes the webhook which sends this information/detail to their third party services. 

David

Userlevel 5
Badge +19

I thought I would add a comment on this question in case someone stumbles upon this question. 

Klaviyo now has a built in ability to push data from Klaviyo Custom Properties back into Shopify as Customer Metafields. Through the Shopify integration page → TO Shopify you are able to define custom properties as a one-way sync from Klaviyo back to Shopify:

I would still love to see this sync work the other way where we are able to bring customer metafields natively (ie. without using an integration layer / API connection) back into Shopify 🙂

Thanks DavidV! This worked like a charm!

I thought I would add a comment on this question in case someone stumbles upon this question. 

Klaviyo now has a built in ability to push data from Klaviyo Custom Properties back into Shopify as Customer Metafields. Through the Shopify integration page → TO Shopify you are able to define custom properties as a one-way sync from Klaviyo back to Shopify:

I would still love to see this sync work the other way where we are able to bring customer metafields natively (ie. without using an integration layer / API connection) back into Shopify 🙂

Userlevel 5
Badge +19

No worries @Marc1919 - glad I could help!