Solved

Shopify newsletter subscribers are not going into klaviyo newsletter list

• 14 January 2021
  • 11 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

Hello, 
I have a problem with the subscription sign up area on my website. I would like all of the subscribers to be added to my klaviyo “Newsletter” list so that my welcome series can be triggered.

• When a new subscriber signs up, they are added to the “email subscribers” list with the tag “newsletter” in shopfiy, but it does not get added to any list on Klaviyo.
  • I have set up Klaviyo.js and it says it’s successfully installed on the site
  • In the integrations tab, I have selected “Newsletter” for the list for the subscribers who accept marketing through Shopify.
  • I don’t have “double opt in” selected

I would appreciate any suggestions! 

Thanks

icon

Best answer by retention 14 January 2021, 22:45

View original

11 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +57

@eternal esthetics beauty Hi,
Based on the information you’ve provided, everything seems like it’s set correctly. I just want to get clarification about the Double Opt-in. You said that you don’t have double opt-in selected. Double Opt-in is enabled by default for new accounts in Klaviyo. Once you switch to a paid plan in Klaviyo, you can request from Klaviyo’s support team using this contact form to reveal the double opt-in feature for your account, and only then you can toggle it ON and OFF for each different list.

Here are more details about Double Opt-In process:

After you get a confirmation that the option is enabled for your account, navigate to the List for which you want to turn off the Double Opt-in. Open the list and click on “Settings”. Uncheck the “Require subscribers to confirm their subscription before being added to your list.” option.

After you uncheck this option, Klaviyo will stop sending the Double Opt-in Emails to the subscribers joining that List.

Here is the documentation from Klaviyo on Double Opt-in: The Double Opt-In Process

I want to make sure that it’s not the Double Opt-in that’s causing this problem before we can start investigating other possible issues.

Cheers!

Userlevel 3
Badge +10

Hey @eternal esthetics beauty ,

Are you using a 3rd party Shopify theme?

If you are using a Shopify 3rd party theme, your theme's default signup forms must also apply the Newsletter tag to new subscribers in order for Klaviyo to automatically sync these subscribers to a Klaviyo list. Contact your theme developer, or if you're comfortable editing your theme's source code, add the following hidden input tag to your form's input group:
<input type="hidden" name="contact[tags]" value="newsletter">

For full instructions: https://help.klaviyo.com/hc/en-us/articles/115005080407-How-to-Integrate-with-Shopify#sync-your-shopify-newsletter-subscribers-to-a-klaviyo-list2

Reply back if you run into any other questions/issues!

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

Hi Joseph, 

The double opt-in was the problem. I contacted the support team and they enabled the option on my account and it is working now. 

Thank you so much for all the help!

Badge +1
example customer not syncing to my klaviyo newsletter list

Hi - I have the same issue but I’m not clear on the resolution provided.

Sounds like I have to upgrade to paid klaviyo account, request double opt-in feature, and select opt-out? Seems little convoluted.

Userlevel 3
Badge +10

Hi @woakskin,

All free accounts have double opt-in enforced. Paid accounts can have “opt-in control” enabled, which gives you the option to remove double opt-in if desired. 

Note that double opt-in won’t actually prevent someone from being able to join your list… it just forces an extra step in the subscription process, so the customer subscribes, confirms, and is then added to your list.

Userlevel 3
Badge +10

@woakskin Another thing- users who accept marketing at checkout but do not complete a purchase will NOT be added to your Klaviyo list. So, in that instance, someone would have the property accepts marketing = true, but won’t appear on your list. This is expected behavior for our Shopify integration.

Just want to mention that because the screenshot you provided isn’t sufficient to say that a person should have been added to your list. 

Hope that helps; reply back if you have any questions!

Badge +1

hmm thanks - my theory is that these are folks who sign up via the shopify footer form but do not verify their email. so they get added to shopify’s list but not klaviyo.

Userlevel 3
Badge +10

@woakskin Yes- double opt in could certainly be the issue in that context. To verify this, I would recommend subscribing through the footer with a test email. Then check your Klaviyo profile: does it say you accept marketing, but you’re not on a list? If so, you can then go to your email and confirm opt-in. At that point, you should find yourself on the Klaviyo list.

Of course, if you don’t receive the opt-in email from Klaviyo (and you’ve checked inbox, promotions, spam, etc), then this could indicate that your footer form isn’t properly connected to a Klaviyo list. In that case, I’d refer you back to my initial comment for troubleshooting the form setup!

Badge +2

Hi - i am having the same problem with @woakskin, but I have enabled the double opt-in by default. My theme developer attempted to subscribe via the shopify built-in newsletter field and received a successful message (https://files.pxu.co/L1ur5eQ9). I checked that the address was recorded in both klaviyo and shopify but for some reason it didn’t go through the dedicated subscription list.

I also checked that the backend for the suggested code inclusion when it comes to 3rd party shopify theme and confirmed that the code is installed.

Would you be able to provide resolution to this?

Thanks,

Adeline

Userlevel 7
Badge +60

Hey @aahline,

Some things to note here, I would suggest first ensuring that the hidden input tag you have added has a space between prospect, and newsletter. From the screenshot you shared it doesn’t appear like there is one which may cause a syntax error causing the Accepts Marketing setting to not recognize the tag. 

In addition, I would suggest ensuring that your Accepts marketing setting is enabled and set to your a designated list as @retention had highlighted prior. With these settings in place, also keep in mind that you’ll also need to confirm your subscription since it sounds like double opt-in is enabled in your list. With double opt-in enabled, contacts who subscribe would be sent a confirmation email that they must confirm prior to being added to the list. Sometimes you may find these confirmation emails delivered to the promotions or spam folder if you don’t see it right away in your inbox!

You can learn more about both the accepts marketing setting and the double opt-in setting from the Sync Shopify Email Subscribers to a Klaviyo List and Guide to The Double Opt-In Process Help Center articles. From them you’ll learn how to enable and turn on these settings and how these two settings apply and interact with your subscribers!

I hope this helps!

David

Badge +1

Hello Everyone,

Been trying to sort the same issue for days now and stumbled upon this thread. 

Issue - signing up on the footer newsletter on Shopify does not trigger the email confirmation email. Klaviyo sign up forms are are set and working perfectly.

Current Set up 

Theme used - Impulse theme by Archetype

Opt in - single opt in for Shopify and Double opt in for Klaviyo so the Shopify default email template  for confirming email wont be sent

Integrations - set up to send leads to the right list. 

Any help would be appreciated. Please let me know if you need further information. Thanks.