Solved

Updating a profile property or create profile property step in a flow when the profile property doesn't exist yet?

• 9 June 2021
  • 8 replies

• Anonymous
  • 0 replies

I’m creating a flow where I want to update a profile property after a purchase has occurred. However, for most of the profiles, this property doesn’t exist yet. Should I use the ‘update profile property’ action or ‘create new property’ action? If I create a new property each time the flow is triggered, will it create duplicate properties for people who enter the flow multiple times? 

icon

Best answer by Bobi N. 9 June 2021, 09:57

View original

8 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +9

Thanks for clarifying @david.to , appreciate it!

Userlevel 7
Badge +60

Hey @wernstrom,

There wouldn’t be an issue with creating these properties on the fly within a flow or a signup form as opposed to preemptively creating them within a profile first. It really is a matter of preference in the order of operations. 

One benefit to what @Bobi N. had mentioned though, is that if you do create this profile preemptively within a profile, you can ensure you are selecting the correct profile property when mapping them within your flows or signup forms. Additionally, this would also allow you to preemptively create a segment to capture customers who have this profile property even before your flow or signup form has been created. 

Creating these properties on the flow would still allow you to do all of those things mentioned before, but you would not see the profile property in the dimension dropdown menu until at least one profile has been tagged with this profile property. In this case, until someone has reached that update profile property step or filled out the form. 

David

Userlevel 4
Badge +9

Thanks @david.to, Is there any issue with creating them on the fly while creating a flow or form as opposed to what the other person suggested about adding/removing them from a profile first so they’re available via dropdown? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +60

Hello @wernstrom,

Building on top of @Bobi N.’s suggestion above, instructions on how you can manually add a custom property to a profile can be found in the Manually Add Them subsection in the Guide to Properties article Klaviyo offers.

To summarize, within an individual’s profile, you will see an Add option next to the Custom Properties section where upon clicking on it you can fill in your desired profile property and property value to save to the profile.

I hope this helps!

David

Userlevel 7
Badge +41

@wernstrom 

Yes, you can go in any of the profiles on your account. Add that property with the wanted value and save it. Than immediately after it is saved you can remove it from that person profile properties.. but it will be still be able for you to use it in the flow as filter.

Userlevel 4
Badge +9

@Bobi N. I’m running into a related issue when designing a flow. Nothing from Klaviyo is live on the site yet, so no profiles have ever had these properties. 

When I want to update the newly created property (Welcome flow active) to “welcome flow complete” it does not show as available in the dropdown. From your response in this thread it seems like I should just go ahead and use “create new property” again and once they start being applied to profiles it should be available for future use - without creating a bunch of duplicate info?

Thanks!

@Bobi N. Makes sense, appreciate it! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +41

@Johndsn33 

In my experience the difference is.. if this property never existed for any profile before use Create property.. but if at least 1 person had it before where you can choose it from dropdown menu than you can use Update property.

And no, they don’t create duplicates.