Solved

Adjusting the default Attribution Window

• 3 January 2022
  • 3 replies

Badge +3

When does it make sense to adjust the window from 5 days? Should this window be adjusted based on any thing specific, like for example, depending on the eCommerce you have? Trying to research what the benefits of adjusting this window are. Thank you for any input! 

icon

Best answer by alex.hong 3 January 2022, 23:38

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +58

Hi there @camilaemailcomposed,
Welcome to the Community!  I hope your week is off to a good start. I would be happy to help you learn more about the Klaviyo attribution window. 

A conversion occurs when a recipient opens your message and then takes another action (such as placing an order) within the conversion period. By default, the conversion period is 5 days, but this setting can be adjusted in your account's email settings.
When you change your conversion window, all future reporting will reflect this timeframe. All campaigns and flow messages sent will apply the conversion window that was set at send time.
2020-10-20_17-42-13.png
For example, if someone opens your weekly newsletter and then makes a purchase later that day, a conversion will be recorded for that email. There are a few important notes about conversion tracking:

• Conversion tracking uses a last-touch attribution model. Only the last email someone opened or clicked is credited with a conversion. For example, the image below contains events from a user's profile. Klaviyo traces conversions for Ordered Product events by looking back in the timeline for an open or clicked email event.
    conversionLastTouch.png
  • Conversions are only tracked if someone opens or clicks an email; conversions are not tracked if someone receives an email but doesn't engage with it.
  • The conversion period begins when an email is received. Only follow-up actions that occur within the conversion period get counted. The image below contains events from a user's profile. For a 2 day conversion period, we manually trace which events fall into the conversion period. In this case, no events fall in the conversion period, so no conversions are counted for this email.
    conversionConversionWindow.png
    If your conversion period is 5 days, and someone opens an email 10 days after receiving it and places an order, the conversion won't be attributed to the email.

It is important to keep conversion tracking in mind when you view analytics for your sends. If you only view analytics for an individual day, Klaviyo will not attribute conversions associated with that email that may take place in future days. In other words, querying individual days means you are giving campaigns less time to generate revenue and your analysis will thus not give the bigger picture. Instead, select a broader timeframe that accounts for your conversion window.

You can learn more about Klaviyo Attribution Windows here. 

Have a good day!

Alex

Userlevel 5
Badge +18

Personally, I think 5 days is too generous and excessively inflates sales numbers. I have no hard evidence to say whether that’s true or not, other than my own shopping behavior. I can honestly say that I’ve never gone back and bought something because of an email I received 5 days earlier.

I always change the attribution to 3-days and clicks-only. You can’t trust open reporting anymore.

All that said, I’ll be interested to see what anyone else has to say. Maybe someone can prove that a 5-day window is accurate. ;-)

Badge +3

Thank you for sharing your shopping behavior, David! That is exactly what I’m interested in seeing - I find it very insightful that you change your attribution window to 3 days and click only, yet I wonder if someone alters the window to include more days? Why is it that Klaviyo allows for up to 60 days - in what case would such thing be beneficial and accurate? 

Thank you!