Solved

How to track if someone clicked a phone number link?

• 25 January 2022
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

I’m using phone number link with my phone numbers in the email. So that users can easily click and dial from smart phones. However, I don’t see any data on how many people have clicked the phone number link. Historically, I was seeing 30%-40% of clicks happening on phone numbers in a different ESP.

I know Klaviyo is known for data and this is a crucial piece of data for us.

Please let me know how to check it.

icon

Best answer by David To 26 January 2022, 20:02

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +60

Hello @Sanket,

Great question!

This would really depend on how you are formulating these links. If you were simply using the tel: function, similar to the mailto: function, we would not actually track these as click events. This is because both the tel: and mailto: capabilities are considered more of a function rather than a link. In addition, because these functions do not redirect users to a link/URL, Klaviyo is unable to disseminate and apply click tracking to these functions.

@retention actually has a great explanation of how Klaviyo’s click tracking is applied in order for link clicks to trigger a Clicked Email event in their response to the following Community post:

I hope this helps!

David

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

Hey @David To thanks for the reply.

I understand that Klaviyo doesn’t track click events on functions currently. What’s the workaround?

It’d be great if Klaviyo starts recognizing these functions as link and track click events. It’s pretty standard with other ESPs. It’ll save everyone sometime and give better data. Thanks!

Userlevel 7
Badge +60

Hey @Sanket,

I’ll share your suggestion with our Product Team!

Some potential workaround to viewing the number of clicks these functions (tel: or mailto:) have received in your email would be utilizing pixels associated with these functions. Similar to what is described in this Litmus Community Post, you can applying a custom tracking pixel that is fired every time this function is clicked on and launched. 

Although these click events would not be tracked in Klaviyo, it would offer you insight into the number of users who have clicked on these functions within your pixel tracking provider or third party analytics tool to track this data. 

David