Solved

How to track which links are clicked on an email

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

Is there any way to see which links in an email lead to conversions if the URLs for each link is the same?

For example, I link to the home page in a few places on an email, but how do I know which link is the one leading to conversions? Is it the homepage link in the header, at the footer, or elsewhere? Is there a way to differentiate link clicks if they’re to the same URL?

icon

Best answer by Omar 9 May 2022, 18:12

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +44

Hi @Katie_Farrell a simple way you could do is to add a query parameter after the url with i.e.

?yourvariable=linklocation 

This would become https://www.website.com/page/page?position=header or something else you'd like to use to make the links unique. using this format should be able to work if you add if after each link

Double check if the links work correctly but should be able to work.

Klaviyo does track link clicks if you check the “link activity” section but all links that are the same are combined. Using above method you will make them unique.

Only downside is that it's more work. Not sure if it gives you enough additional information to be able to make decisions on improvements.

Hope it helps!

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

Thanks so much @Omar, that’s exactly it. More work but I think it’s interesting to know which links take people to the site to go on and purchase. Would be interesting to have HotJar... but for emails!

Really appreciate you taking the time to reply,

-Katie

Userlevel 7
Badge +58

Hi @Katie_Farrell,

Just to chime in. Generally, our customers use UTM tracking for GA and Shopify to record link attributions. You can set up UTM tracking for Klaviyo and make sure that your flows and campaigns are using the tracking settings. Once this is done, you should be able to use any tool to look at the correct attribution. 

Have a good day!
Alex

Userlevel 2
Badge +6

Hi @alex.hong

Is there a way to see unique click activity inside Klaviyo, does the UTM tracking show inside any reports? If not is there any way to show click activity without using third-party such as GA? Other ESPs have heatmaps and their own individual tracking set up to analyse click performance in their dashbaord/reports. 

Cheers,

Michael

Userlevel 4
Badge +23

Hey @MNgo! Absolutely. This thread is pretty old so we’ve definitely come a long way in the product since then. 

You can build a Custom Report to keep an eye on UTM click activity. Depending exactly on what you want to look at, yours could look something like this:

Here are some more resources for you on how to set up Custom Reports:

Hope that helps! :)