Solved

Klaviyo Attributed Revenue Metrics

• 11 August 2022
  • 6 replies

Badge +3

On the overview dashboard, the preset cards “Conversion by Channel” and “Conversion Summary” show Klaviyo Attributed Revenue. The numbers there do not match up with figures reported by metrics like Placed Order, Ordered Product, Fulfilled Order, etc. How is this calculated?

Additionally, when I try to create a custom report for one of the metrics mentioned above and group them by Attributed Message/Flow (to get metrics for campaigns and flows respectively), I get a row with an empty Attributed Message/Flow, and the Attributed Message/Flow Name is “Unknown ()” What is this attributed to? I thought it was referring to the unselected grouping (e.g. Unknown refers to Message when grouped by Flow) but the numbers don’t add up.

icon

Best answer by alex.hong 12 August 2022, 00:57

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +58

Hello @edwinv,

Welcome to the Community.

Klaviyo attributes the value to an email campaign when it is clicked/opened. By default, conversions for each campaign are tracked up to five days after an email is sent; you can adjust this conversion period for your account by navigating to the Account > Settings > Email page and scrolling to the Email Conversions & Smart Sending section. Klaviyo Conversions are attributed to emails based on a Last Touch Attribution model, as explained here: Understanding Conversion Tracking. To add the Revenue metric to a profile you would need to add the Placed Order metric with the 'Value' definition.

A conversion occurs when a recipient opens or clicks your email message and then takes another action (such as placing an order) within the conversion period. By default, the conversion period is 5 days, but this setting can be adjusted in your account's email settings.

We associate opens/clicks/revenue with the email. Here is an example of the process; if someone was sent a campaign email on Aug. 1, opened and clicked on it on Aug. 2, then made a purchase on Aug. 3, we'd associate the open, click, and purchase with that message. This is a great guide on all our campaign analytics.

It would also depend on your settings for your metrics as it could be looking for data within a different range. Example:

?name=image.png

With this current account settings, this means that any customer who opens or clicks an email 1-5 days before placing an order will count towards the Klaviyo revenue attribution. If a customer opens or clicks on two different emails in the 1-5 days before placing an order, then the order will be attributed to the most recently opened or clicked email message. 

Additionally, I would recommend taking a look at these super helpful articles for more information about Reporting:

I hope this helped,

Alex

Badge +3

Some follow up questions, I set up the report to the following parameters:

Single Metric Deep Dive Report 

Metric: Placed Order 

Definition: Value, SUM 

Group or Filter: Attributed Message

Timeframe: 5/2/2022 - 5/2/2022 by Entire Range

Is this the correct way to get revenue values for only campaigns? The figures here don't match the 'Conversion Summary' for that day.

Are conversion values tracked different in custom reports than the present Dashboard Cards (Conversion Summary)?

From this report I also get the Attributed Message: 'Unknown ()'. What does this represent?

Userlevel 7
Badge +58

Hi @edwinv,

Are you noticing a discrepancy in the attributed revenue depending on where you're viewing it in your account. This is likely related to which metric is being used to display the revenue: Placed Order or Ordered Product. The reason it may appear different depending on which metric is being used is because Placed Order accounts for shipping and discounts, whereas Ordered Product does not add shipping or exclude discounts. 

If you're seeing more revenue attributed on your Analytics cards than in your Campaign Analytics, this is likely due to the Ordered Product metric not adding shipping prices within the Campaign view. I would advise using the revenue that is referencing Placed Order because of these inclusions and exclusions as well to get a more accurate measure of revenue. It may also be helpful to build out a Campaign Performance Report to get metrics that you can export as well.

Badge +3

Hi @alex.hong ,

I set up the reports with the following parameters:

• Single Metric Deep Dive Report
    • Metric: Ordered Product, Value, SUM
    • Group or Filter: Attributed Message
    • Timeframe: 05/02/2022 - 05/02/2022, By: Day
  • Overview Dashboard: Conversion Summary
    • Date Range: 05/02/2022 - 05/02/2022
    • Conversion Metric: Ordered Product
  • Campaign Performance Report
    • Standard Campaign Metrics: None
    • Conversion Metric: Ordered Product, Value, Sum
    • Group By: Campaign
    • Filter by Tags: None
    • Timeframe: 05/02/2022 - 05/02/2022

The results of the Campaign Performance Report matched the Overview Dashboard perfectly. It returned one campaign whos Total Ordered Product Value matched the Campaigns segment on Conversion Summary.

However, the Single Metric Deep Dive Report was the odd one out, it did not match the other two. It returned multiple Attributed Message Names, including the campaign from the other two but with a different Total Ordered Product Value. 

Perhaps I set up the Single Metric Deep Dive Report incorrectly?

The reason for this question is that I am connecting to the API so I followed How to Export Conversion Data. When exporting data from there I get the same results as the Single Metric Deep Dive Report.

Thank you so much in advance!

Userlevel 7
Badge +58

Hello @edwinv,

I would recommend checking with the Support team as they have found explanations for your reporting discrepancies. 

Badge +3

Hi @alex.hong,

I just figured it out. The Campaign Performance Report reports the metrics of a campaign throughout its entire duration (e.g. 05/02/2022-05/08/2022) regardless if the Timeframe is set to just a day (05/02/2022).

The Single Metric Deep Dive report can break down a campaign by individual days.

Thank you so much for your support!