Solved

Metrics not syncing - Shopify

• 2 October 2021
  • 4 replies

Badge +2

Hi there,

None of my metrics (checkout started, placed order, ordered product, fulfilled order) are synching for the Shopify integration and thus my abandon cart flows (and any other flows using these metrics) aren’t triggering. I contacted Shopify and they said that this issue is due to Klaviyo using iframe and the only way Shopify can resolve it is by turning off the clickjacking feature on my site. I suspect that it is my theme but the developer says it is not their issue.  Has anyone had or resolved an issue such as this? It’s really frustrating that we can’t send out flows. 

Thanks

icon

Best answer by Dov 5 October 2021, 18:03

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +61

Hello @Marquita,

Thank you for sharing this question with the Klaviyo community.

To clarify, Klaviyo would not put anything in an iframe on your website. Additionally, all of these events (Started Checkout, Placed Order) are coming from the Shopify server.

I can see from your console log screenshot that these events are coming from Paypal (see, “child-src c.paypal.com” in the log). Since Paypal is a third party platform, we (Klaviyo) would not receive the Shopify “Placed Order” event if someone submits a payment via Paypal. 

In order to track Paypal orders as a "Placed Order" event in Klaviyo, you'll need to first create a custom metric that passes the order information from Paypal into Klaviyo. For example, the event could be called "Placed Paypal Order," and then you'd add the following flow filter to your abandoned cart flow to remove people who place orders via Paypal: 

• AND "Placed PayPal Order zero times since starting this flow"

In terms of creating the custom “Placed Order” metric, this would be done via a server-side API call (for more details on that, I recommend checking out the reply in this thread):

Also, I am attaching our API guide specifically for creating the Placed Order event here.

If you require any further assistance with setting this up, I recommend getting in touch with one of our wonderful partners .

I hope that is helpful! Thanks for being a member of our community.

Badge +2

@Dov Thank you for clarity however this screenshot was sent to me from Klaviyo who did not explain the issue and told me to check with Shopify who then (upon my sending the screenshot to Shopify) told me the only thing they could do was to turn off clickjacking. I can see where the event is Paypal (and I’m not sure why that was grabbed by Klaviyo staff) but no metrics have been synced since about August 27th unless a historical import is done (these are test abandon carts that we have completed as we as potential customers, so it’s not just an isolated issue with Paypay). So, are you telling me that issue with the metric sync not occurring is a Shopify issue? I just want to make sure I am reaching out to the correct party because I reached to them first and they told me that Klaviyo uses iframe (not sure why as you say this is untrue) and told me to reach back to you all. This is getting very convoluted and murky at this point.

Userlevel 7
Badge +61

Hello @Marquita,

Thank you for your reply.

Sorry for all of the confusion here. There are quite a few moving pieces here so I sympathize with the confusion. I cannot say which party can resolve definitely but I’ll give you a few strategies/things to think about and next steps.

First, I would try removing the Shopify integration and re-enabling it. That may be the quickest and easiest fix without getting into anymore confusion. Give this 24 hours to completely re-sync.

If that doesn’t resolve, your best bet is to continue the thread with both Shopify and Klaviyo support with a few questions for each:

For Shopify:

-Acknowledgement that we (Klaviyo) will not insert iframes on your site, so I would want them to look into how they go about inserting iframes, if this something to do with the Shopify theme being used or something else. If it is Shopify inserting the iframe, it would be on Shopify to dig into why and how to remove it. Once that is removed, I would test another “Started Checkout” event. As a side note, if you changed themes or made any changes around the time the events stopped tracking that would be the first thing I would investigate with Shopify.

-I can’t speak to clickjacking, but given what I understand about it on a high-level, I am not sure what that has to do with event tracking, so further clarity from Shopify on how disabling clickjacking would help here would be helpful. Just to better understand their rationale on this. 

For Klaviyo support:

-Ensure that Klaviyo support has verified that your Shopify integration looks healthy on our end, meaning, that there are no outstanding syncing errors that we can see. If so, and if our support reps still cannot determine who is responsible, they will escalate the support ticket (I see you have one existing) to our technical team who can at least make that determination, and if it is on us, assist with next steps.

So ultimately a thread with both parties including these established steps would be the best way to get to the bottom of it.

I hope that is helpful.

Badge +2

@Dov Thank you so so much again! You have been very helpful!