How to use reviews to combat privacy changes & grow revenue

• 17 August 2022
  • 2 replies
How to use reviews to combat privacy changes & grow revenue
Userlevel 2
Badge +4

Hello Klaviyo Community! 

Let’s address the elephant in the room (industry): Privacy changes. We’re all talking about them, but are any of us really sure how to combat them? Luckily, I’m here to share some tips and tricks that will can help my fellow Community members how to overcome the challenges their brands may face as third-party data and cookies become a thing of the past. 

Why zero-party data can help brands combat the privacy changes

Customers demand more personalized shopping experiences, but are also clamping down on the data they are willing to share; this makes creating personalized experiences difficult for brands. The secret to navigating privacy changes is zero-party data.

Zero-party data is data that a customer freely shares with a brand, and it is becoming increasingly important as the e-commerce industry moves away from third-party data and cookies. Brands that collect zero-party data will be able to create personalized experiences that shoppers demand which will also increase customer trust and loyalty.

As a brand, having the tools to generate and own their customer data is like winning the lottery. Not only are the brands in control of the data they want to collect, but it’s also cost-effective and easy to do. Since zero-party data is straight from the source (in this case, the customer), the information is likely more accurate and detailed than third-party and cookie data.

How reviews can help brands collect zero-party data

Can you think of another brand + customer interaction, other than reviews, where the customer would be willing to freely share their personal information like skin type, age range, or body shape, other than reviews? Probably not. 

Reviews occur at a unique moment in the brand + customer relationship. They offer the customer an opportunity to give feedback directly to the brand and brands have the opportunity to collect data directly from the customer. It’s a win-win.

Reviews help brands start generating and owning their customer data. Attributes, also known as Properties  within Klaviyo, are a powerful way for brands to collect actionable data, like demographic or behavioral insights, and from customer reviews in a way that feels natural. Think about it, a customer is already sharing their honest opinion about the brand/product, and it’s likely they are willing to share information about themselves as well. 

How brands can use zero-party data to grow revenue with personalized messages

Let’s talk about real life. Very few things get me more ready to spend money than when a company talks to me, rather than at me.

Natural Dog Company is a brand I buy from regularly and they have my full loyalty in the dog/grooming space. The reason? They have mastered how to use Attributes to collect data about me in reviews that help me, and other shoppers, convert on-site and also allows them to create fully personalized marketing communication. 

In Natural Dog Company’s reviews, they learn what dog breed, age, and canine concern each of their customers has and use this data to elevate their marketing campaigns into high-converting masterpieces through customer segmentation. This means every message is relevant to the customer. So, if you have a puppy, expect to get an email on how to get started using their products. On the other hand, if you have a dog with allergies, expect emails on the perfect products to treat them. 

VYAkcXi1TzLmLWD6txWJ_wmCiYDwLQuFw75nQB5s-fZJG-xW0_nZquH9R4FLrnnws-7VRHxi7XYfbhF0XtkIAoLT8ZOu3g42oQvN7Ie8UnkDAfIKoXvGdQ7BUTO-wWgqF0VwwcDAMCDYozWmVhVItw

Attributes are configurable to each individual brand. This means brands can ask the specific Attributes that are relevant to their business needs. For example, beauty brands may be interested in collecting skin type, while athleisure brands collect sports played, and plant-based food brands collect dietary information.

So when a brand is thinking about their strategy for collecting zero-party data, make sure reviews are top-of-mind and pick a review provider that offers features like Attributes.

How zero-party data and customer segmentation work together

Using a powerhouse integration like Okendo + Klaviyo, allows brands to leverage zero-party data from reviews by syncing data into Klaviyo. Each time a product or site review is submitted, Okendo automatically creates an event in Klaviyo and syncs the unique data that the customer has shared with the brand into the customer profile. Brands can then use this data to create segmented audiences for highly-targeted marketing communications. It’s really that simple! 

The data synced from reviews allows brands to create all kinds of customer segments. Keep it simple with a segment of 5-star reviewers or get more advanced with a segment of 5-star reviewers that have a labrador retriever puppy. 

Enabling Okendo’s integration with Klaviyo will even sync historical data from reviews so brands can get started with customer segmentation right away. 

The key takeaway

We know privacy changes are upon us, but it gives brands the opportunity to flip the script and put owning customer data into their own hands rather than relying on costly third-party sources. 

If brands are not already serious about their zero-party data collection and strategy, now is the time to start! If you’re not sure where to get started, reviews are one of the easiest ways for them to generate zero-party data. If you or your customer is not already using reviews to generate zero-party data, reach out to Okendo now. We’re ready to help!

-@mat.bingham 

Learn more about me on my Champion page! 

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +38

Genius! This is a great strategy that I’m sure is very underutilized (I know I haven’t been using reviews to collect more information about customers - my mind is running wild with ideas right now). 

Thanks for sharing this @mat.bingham 

Badge

Great advice! It looks like Klaviyo integration on Okendo is only available for high tier pricing plans, currently beyond affordable for my little business (and I use WooCommerce not Shopify). Do you have any suggestions for automating a similar process with other review platforms and Zapier or the like?