Solved

Birthday date - Issue with DD/MM/YYYY and MM/DD/YYYY

• 8 October 2021
  • 3 replies

Badge +2

Hello,

We started collecting Birthday dates from our customers through a Klaviyo embedded form. The form uses the following profile property and date format (DD/MM/YYYY). 

Link to screenshot: https://prnt.sc/1v9s54b 

The format is Day/Month/Year, correct?

The profile shows the input Birthday date in the following format (DD/MM/YYYY). Link to screenshot: https://prnt.sc/1v9swmc 

The customer did input their data like this: 10th of August 1994 (DD/MM/YYYY)

All fine up to here. The problem occurs when the customer enters the Birthday flow. It seems like Klaviyo uses the default US date format (MM/DD/YYYY) when adding customers into the flow, even if we used the DD/MM/YYYY in the embedded form and the profile shows it as DD/MM/YYYY.

It happened this morning, on the 8th of October (10/08/****). The customer above, whose Birthday is on the 10th of August 1994 (10/08/1994), received a birthday email because Klaviyo used the US date format and thought the Birthday was on the 8th of October.

Why is this even happening? We clearly stated in the form that the format to use is DD/MM/YYYY.

Can someone please help me understand how Klaviyo handles Date formats in combination with the Birthday flows? Am I doing something wrong?

Thank you.

icon

Best answer by Dov 8 October 2021, 21:32

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +61

Hi @AmazingBB,

Thank you for sharing this question with the Klaviyo community.

Although you can collect dates in the DD/MM/YYYY format, after the form is filled, it will be reflected as MM/DD/YYYY on the profile. The flow email should be dispatched in line with this date regardless of the format. If you wanted to display the birthday in dd/mm/yyyy format in the birthday email itself you can use the following tag:

{{ your_variable|format_date_string|date:'d-m-Y' }}

However, this will not impact the actual date the email is sent.

If you’re still noticing issues with the date-triggered flow dispatching emails, I recommend contacting our support team to have a closer look. If you do decide to reach out, please include an example email address where you noticed the issue and a link to the flow in question.

Thanks for being a member of our community.

Badge +4

Hello

I have the same problem being Australian dates, where do we put the tag?

Userlevel 7
Badge +61

Hi @studiocarly,

Thanks for your question.

You would insert this tag 

{{ your_variable|format_date_string|date:'d-m-Y' }}

into your Klaviyo email, likely in a text block or a table block. For more information on the types of blocks you can use in the Klaviyo editor, see our guide here or if you’re using the new editor, see our guide here.

Simply replace “your_variable” with the variable that pulls in the MM/DD/YYY formatted date which will convert it to DD/MM/YYYY.

I hope that is helpful.