Solved

Collecting Language Preferences on Signup Forms to Send Multilingual Emails

• 6 November 2020
  • 5 replies

Badge +2

Hello! I have set up my store recently but I have a few target markets. 

I was wondering, if I through Klavio am able to send specific emails to specific target audiences in specific languages? 

So for instance, I would like to send:

Newsletter signup 10% discount to all of my newly subscribed customers. However, if they are from Taiwan, I want to send this in traditional chinese, china - simplified, Germany - in German. 

icon

Best answer by cassy.lee 7 November 2020, 02:37

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +9

Hi @frojdstockholm

Thanks for being a part of our Klaviyo Community! In order to send marketing emails/a discount code to your newly subscribed customers in different countries and in different languages, I would recommend that you create a radio button on your newsletter signup form, indicating their language preference. You can learn more about form blocks and adding buttons in this article. Additionally, this article gives an overview of radio buttons.  

Once you have done that, their preference will be stored on their profile property. Next, create a conditional split in your flow path, that has two conditional splits: one for language preference is Chinese - yes or no, and if yes, it will receive the email in Chinese. If it is no, then it will split and ask if the language preference is German. If yes, then the email will be sent in German. If the answer is no, then it will send the email in the last option, which is English (if that is what you set it to). 

Example: 

You can learn how to include a conditional split in a flow in this article

Badge +2

Hello, thank you so much for your reply. Am i able to for instance do this per location? 

So that the second they sign up it notices they are from a specific country and then just sends the correct language? This would be a step before the radio buttons.. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +9

@frojdstockholm The best and most accurate way is to prompt your subscribers to choose their language preference in a form. There are other ways that you can determine the language or location of a profile before submitting a signup, but it won’t be as accurate as your users selecting the language themselves. Klaviyo does not currently have a built-in feature that automatically translates email content into different languages, but you can configure email templates and tags (unsubscribe links, manage preferences, etc) in a variety of languages.

Here’s the guide to setting up the form to capture language preferences: Segmenting/Targeting Based on Language Preference

This video guide on Running a Multinational Business is also very helpful as a resource! If you scroll down to Update Your Messaging Strategy, you’ll find some more tips of segmenting based on location. Image below as an example. 

Lastly, here’s a list of all the languages that Klaviyo currently can translate your lists into. Please check this page for the most up to date list.  

• Bulgarian
  • Chinese
  • Croatian
  • Czech
  • Danish
  • Dutch
  • English
  • Estonian
  • Finnish
  • French
  • German
  • German (informal)
  • Greek
  • Hindi
  • Hungarian
  • Icelandic
  • Indonesian
  • Italian
  • Japanese
  • Korean
  • Latvian
  • Lithuanian
  • Norwegian
  • Polish
  • Portuguese
  • Romanian
  • Russian
  • Slovenian
  • Spanish
  • Swedish
  • Thai
  • Turkish
  • Ukrainian
  • Vietnamese
Badge +2

Hi Cassy.Lee and the community!

I’m a bit puzzled about the best course of actions in regards to managing multiple languages in Klaviyo. I want to set up everything correctly while my database is limited so I can build on solid grounds.

Here’s what I’m planning so far and my understandings. Please advise if any information or interpretations I’ve made of the different tutorials and guidelines are incorrect, or if there’s a better way to do it.

1- One list per language

Although we can submit language preferences through a form as a custom property added to existing profiles on a specific list (Newsletter), all the Subscribe and Preference pages related to a specific list will be in one language. Meaning that if a single list (Newsletter) contains multiple languages, Opt-ins, confirmation emails, etc… will all be in one “default” language. If I want to customize content and texts in preference management, email confirmation, unsubscribe, etc…, I need to have one list per language.

Segments are a great tool, and I’ve considered them before. But with the Subscribe and Preference pages associated with a list, the same issue rises if I want Users to manage their Profile and Preferences in their own language.

(Following point take into account #1 is the correct methodology)

2- Updating current lists and Profile migrations

If I have an existing list (Newsletter - EN) where I want to prompt users about their language preferences, how to migrate users that will select Français or Deutsch as their language preference to lists specifically for these languages? Radio buttons can create custom properties, but the following “Elements - Button” in the form can relay the profile to a single list and doesn’t have any conditional effects (IF English then add to list Newsletter - EN, IF Français then add to list Newsletter - FR, etc...).

The only way I see is to forgo “Input Fields - Radio Buttons” and have two different “Elements - Button”, each in the corresponding language redirecting the submit form to a specific list. For example, the Button Français redirecting to Newsletter - FR and Button English redirecting to Newsletter - EN. Is that correct?

Also, would doing so only copy the Profile to a different list without removing them from the previous one? So somebody changing their language preference would be targeted by both lists?

The best way would be, of course, to prevent this migration to happen and collect data in the best way possible with the first instance of the SignUp Form. Back to point #1 ! ;)

Userlevel 7
Badge +60

Hello @Theb,

Thanks for sharing this question with the Community!

Brilliant observation on those two points above! Using radio buttons or multi-check boxes within your signup form would only update the contact’s custom properties and not add them to a specific list. However, this strategy allows you to create segments off of your list to distinguish what language your contacts prefer to send targeted campaign emails or filtering within flows. You can create segments to target these customers with rules such as the one below:

Your thoughts on using a single signup form associated with 2 separate button each directing to a separate list for different languages would be the best course of action. Using this method would not automatically remove contacts from an existing list they are on and would only add them to the selected list. Since contacts joining a list pertains to one’s consent, there would not be a way to automatically move contacts from one list to another unless the contact explicit signs up for this alternate list or if you manually move these contacts from one list to another.

This strategy would also work best going forward to navigate users to the list that best aligns with their language preference at the start. I would recommend creating a signup form with the buttons of your available language preferences and have the form behavioral setting of Don’t show to existing Klaviyo profiles. This way, the form would not re-appear for contacts who are already existing members of your Klaviyo account to allow them to potentially select a different language preference list to sign up to. An example form can look like the one below:

Alternatively, do you have multiple language sites? If so, the best recommendation would be to create separate Klaviyo account for each of these multi-language stores. Klaviyo does support multi-account access to allow you to have access to multiple Klaviyo accounts for reasons such as this. It is also best practice to have separate Klaviyo accounts per store you own in order to keep data between stores separate@Omar has a great write up in the following Community post below surrounding using seperate Klaviyo accounts for every store you own. You can also take a Klaviyo course titled Guide to Running a Multinational Business which can assist in guiding you towards a multinational/multi-language stores. 

Hope this helps!

David