Solved

Does Klaviyo can collect emails of shopify store visitors?

• 23 November 2022
  • 1 reply

Badge +1

Hello Everyone,

I was having a chat with someone, so he mentioned about something that klaviyo can collect emails of our store visitors (i.e. without sign-up forms klaviyo will collect the email so we can target those emails).

firstly, this doesn’t make sense for me cause I don’t think so that sending email without their consent would be a good idea but I thought to post it here to get experts advice.

please guide me on this.

Thank you!

icon

Best answer by stephen.trumble 25 November 2022, 10:43

View original

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +60

Hey @zamamahmed21 

Welcome to the Klaviyo Community! Thanks for asking about syncing your Shopify email subscribers to your Klaviyo list.

You are 100% correct, you still need to collect consent in order to send marketing materials to your customers. This is why we strongly recommend keeping your email subscription box on your Shopify checkout page unchecked by default to avoid damaging your sender reputation by accumulating passive subscribers. This option can be adjusted by navigating to Settings > Checkout in your Shopify store admin.

Marketing consent settings in Shopify, with Show an option to subscribe at checkout checked and Preselect the option unchecked

Leaving this box checked by default is not a recommended practice because it can lead to people who don’t wish to receive marketing communications from you getting added to your list. They are more likely to  unsubscribe, ignore, or mark your emails as spam. If these contacts ignore your emails they will eventually filter to spam.

If a large percentage of your list consists of passive subscribers added in this way and your email engagement is low, you're putting your email deliverability at risk. By growing lists of engaged subscribers and focusing on the quality of your leads over quantity, you're setting yourself up for strong email deliverability and higher conversion rates.

Hope this helps!