Giveaway and contest solution

• 1 December 2022
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +12
  • Partner - Silver
  • 122 replies

Hi community,

What you recommendation to run engaging giveaway or contest?

Did anyone have experience with apps like https://gleam.io/ or https://kingsumo.com/?

How they work with Klaviyo?

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +60

Hi @Jakub

Thanks for sharing your question with us! Love that you’re crowdsourcing some feedback here. 

I know that Gleam can directly integrate with Klaviyo following these steps from Gleam’s documentation listed here.  In my experience, it’s recommended that you test your integration before connecting a live giveaway to Klaviyo as some users experienced issues pertained to not setting up their integration correctly before trying to send users from a Gleam feature to their Klaviyo account.

Additionally, for kingsumo, there is not direct integration built out for this, but you can connect the two through Zapier. 

I wonder if any other champions @In the Inbox , @Bobi N., or @Mailbox Manny have any experience with these two integrations? 

Thanks for starting this conversation and being a part of this Community, Jakub !

-Taylor 

Userlevel 7
Badge +38

Thanks for the tag @Taylor Tarpley.

@Jakub, I’ve ran contests with Gleam, but don’t have experience with Kingsumo. 

Gleam did the job, I had no complaints.  It’s great there’s a direct integration with Klaviyo (easier, the better).

Honestly, I’m not a huge fan of contests as a strategy (I guess it may depend on the industry), but I got burned the contest being shared on contesting groups (people who like to sign up to any contest) and got a lot of bad emails from it (especially when the cost of entry is easy, ie. sign up or like a page, etc..).  Just something to watch out for if you decide to forward with it.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +41

Hi everyone.. all I can say here is we don’t usually do giveaways and contest and we always advise our clients against doing this. 
Subscribers who come through this kind of subscription are the worst subscribers. You will get a lot of spam complaints and immediate unsubscribes because these people almost always come for the free reward and are never interested in the brand. Almost 90% of those subscribers that you will get are totally worthless!

I know this was not the actual question but wanted to share it because I think its pretty important, and as Manny said when they share the contest and giveaway on some groups it gets even worse.

And direct answer to the question is already said.. I guess for Gleam there is direct integration for KingSumo you may need Zapier but also third option and what I see some people do is they use the app to collect emails and then they just download the subscribers from the app and upload it to Klaviyo list.

Userlevel 5
Badge +12

Hi @Taylor Tarpley, @Bobi N., @Manny Singh
Thanks for feedback about you experience, I agree that this isn't perfect but still worth trying if you have big problem with churn and database dying, or maybe you have different solution you recommend your clients?

Userlevel 7
Badge +38

Hi @Taylor Tarpley@Bobi N., @Manny Singh
Thanks for feedback about you experience, I agree that this isn't perfect but still worth trying if you have big problem with churn and database dying, or maybe you have different solution you recommend your clients?

Sounds like there may be a larger issue that needs to be fixed with the business (product, offer, etc.), I don’t think doing a contest will fix those symptoms (subscriber count can be a vanity metric). 

I’d probably do a deep dive into what’s causing churn and work on a longer term strategy to turn it around.  Key phrase is “long term” because if we try to fix it in the short term, we can end up taking shortcuts that don’t actually fix the problem.