Solved

How does 'don't show to existing profiles' work?

• 30 June 2022
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

Hi, 

So I’m using an exit intent pop up that doesnt show to existing klayvio profiles. The reason for writing this message is because I noticed someone filled out the exit intent form who was already susbscribed to the mailing list! 

Out of curiosity, is this because either they were on a new device that they havent previously gone through klayvio with ( when i say gone through i mean havent opened a klayvio email or filled out a form) or because going through safari only tracks cookies for 7 days not 2 years. 

also the exit intent gives 10% off for new customers. I also noticed that a customer filled it in twice in quick sucession (about 5 mins) with 2 different emails. Surely, assuming they are using the same device, they would have been cookied after filling it in once as therefore shouldnt have seen the pop up again? 

And also is there not really anything more that can be done to avoid this happening in the future, aside from maybe sending more emails to get people to be cookied on different devices!! 

I would really rather not give existing customers a 10% coupon if I can help it! 

Thanks, 

Otis 

icon

Best answer by alex.hong 30 June 2022, 23:04

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +58

Hi @armedandgorgeous,

Thanks for posting to the Community.

When Klaviyo’s JavaScript is enabled, our __kla_id cookie can track and identify site visitors through an auto-generated ID. The setting "Don’t show to existing Klaviyo profiles" will ensure that a Klaviyo form is not shown to a cookie'd (known) visitor. 

In similar cases like yours, there are several reasons why a visitor who is already a customer could have seen a form with this setting enabled. This includes a visitor who has: 

(1) recently cleared their cookies

(2) is using a new device

or (3) visits your site with an incognito browser

Visitors under these circumstances will ultimately be treated as a new, anonymous visitor, unfortunately. There isn't a way for us to control this at this time. 

Please feel free reference our Help Center article About Cookies in Klaviyo for more details.

A related Community post can be found here:

Thanks,

Alex

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

Thanks for the response!