Solved

How reliable is location targeting in signup forms

• 2 August 2021
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +5

Hi there,

I have two embed forms on a page; and I want to show one or the other based on whether the user is in the EU or not (one of the forms have GDPR fields on it).

I’m using “don’t show to visitors in certain locations (EU)”, and “show to visitors in certain locations (EU)” respectively, so it should be all set – in theory. But how reliable is this really? What if the location of the person cannot be detected during their visit. Do they see both forms? Or neither form, which would be slightly better, but still not ideal.

I have the same question for popup forms as well. Same scenario with two forms.

Thanks, -oo

icon

Best answer by Dov 3 August 2021, 15:22

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +61

Hi @Doubleo,

Thank you for sharing this question with the Klaviyo Community.

First, there are a few different methods Klaviyo uses to set a user location. I recommend reading through our guide understanding when and how Klaviyo sets a profile's location for more information. 

In the case where no location is set, we will still use the IP as the geo-locator so Klaviyo will know if they are or are not residing in the EU and show them the appropriate form.

Userlevel 2
Badge +5

Hi @Dov 

Thanks for the response. Are you basically saying there’s no scenario where these two forms would be displayed at the same? And that Klaviyo will always detect/assign a location to every profile? Even VPN users, or anything that hides their IP.

Thanks, -oo

Userlevel 7
Badge +61

Hello @Doubleo,

Thanks for sharing your question with the Klaviyo Community.

As long as the forms are set to display as “don’t show in EU” and “show in EU” they will be mutually exclusive. And yes, Klaviyo will be able to detect and assign an IP to a specific profile that visits the page.