Solved

How to create a signup form compliant with GDPR?

• 5 March 2021
  • 3 replies

Badge +2

Hi, i’m trying to create a GDPR compliant form, but I’m unable to put the  hyperlink to my privacy policies next to the checkbox where people  need to check to express consent. In the property options next to the checkbox I don’t see any option to add an hyperlink. Here’s a screenshot of my temporary setup:

Any help on how I can solve this would be greatly appreciated! 

icon

Best answer by Paul S 8 March 2021, 22:14

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +34

Hi Eitan,

When creating Klaviyo signup forms, you have the ability to enable data protection fields for a GDPR compliant signup form. Once these blocks are added to the signup form, you are able to hyperlink the default language in the text block of the form with your privacy policy.

Hope this helps!

Julie

Badge +2

Thanks @Paul S for your response. What you’re suggesting is, as you well put it, a workaround, but it’s not very convenient since this means that I need to fit the wording I put next to the checkbox (instead of the words “option 1” in your screenshot, so that they are seamlessly followed by the text box with they hyperlink. But I’ve seen in another shopify website that uses Klaviyo that they were able to put the hyperlink on the same line of the checkbox and as a continuous sentence:

This is just an example, but in any case, taking into account that GDPR consent is a requirement in sign up forms for all the EU, I would expect that Klaviyo has a solution that enables the thousand of Klaviyo users in the EU to put the hyperlink of their privacy policies next to the checkbox!

So, any Klaviyo solution that enables me to avoid using that workaround that is difficult to implement without making the signup form appear clumsy (since it may need unnecessary spaces between the sentence next the checkbox and the text box for the hyperlink)  would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again,

Eitan

Userlevel 5
Badge +10

Hi @Eitan Felner ,

So its a certainty that the company’s pop up you shared in the image is not a Klaviyo pop up since what was provided in that image is not currently possible to set up with the current functionality of our signup form builder. Because of this, I don’t have an additional work around at the moment but will add this to a product enhancement request with the hopes that this is something available in the future as I completely understand it’s not the way you had envisioned or hoped. Appreciate you following up and hopefully this will be something that will be a possibility in the future.

For the time being, you would either have to have the hyperlink in a text block or see if maybe they are using a Shopify pop up. You could also go ahead and use a GDPR compliant form. The below instructions were pulled from our help center article on Guide to Collecting GDPR Compliant Consent.

Use a GDPR Compliant Form

After you install Klaviyo signup forms on your site, you can start building forms within the Signup Forms tab of your account. When you click Create from Scratch, select Enable Data Protection Fields to ensure that the default template includes GDPR compliant language.

2020-01-15_10-47-21.png

You can edit the language of this form or add additional fields using checkboxes to suit your needs. Bear in mind that GDPR requires granular consent, which means that subscribers must have the option to subscribe to some, but not all, types of marketing. For example, a subscriber may want to receive emails from you, but not be retargeted by your business on social media. Using checkboxes allows subscribers to choose as many or as few types of marketing they would like to receive from you.

Any value that a subscriber selects will be stored as a $consent property on their profile. Consent is recorded as a list data type, and as such may contain any number of values.

2018-05-10_10-35-25.png

Once your form is styled to suit your needs and includes the necessary checkboxes, you can publish it on your site so that, going forward, you collect and track consent as required by the GDPR.

Additionally, you may choose to only show this form to browsers located in the EU or who are not in the EU. To do this, navigate to Behaviors > Targeting > By Location. Here, you can specify where to show/hide a form to browsers in specific locations. Klaviyo determines a browser's location using their IP address.

2018-07-19_16-34-56.png