Solved

When using $source property what happens if someone fills out another form before the flow is finished?

• 11 November 2021
  • 9 replies

Badge +4

Hi guys!

I have a very similar situation to this existing discussion: 

From what I can tell, the $source property that is applied to a contact after signing up via a form changes when the same contact fills out another form with a different $source property.

My situation is this:

I want to have a three day flow for an ebook that customers will receive after filling out a form with a specific $source property.

But what happens if this customer then fills out a different form before this flow is completed and the $source property on their contact changes?

Will they stop receiving emails from this flow immediately? Or will the flow still finish?

I’m not sure if this is an obvious question but I can’t seem to find the answer anywhere and want to make sure I know what will happen.

Many thanks for your help,

Maddie

icon

Best answer by Dov 12 November 2021, 16:27

View original

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +61

Hi @maddiemhc,

Thanks for sharing this question with our Klaviyo community. I am glad you asked this question and I’m happy to help provide clarity.

You’re absolutely correct on your first point, if a user fills out signup form A with $source X and then subsequently fills out signup form B with $source Y, the $source value will be updated from X to Y.

Assuming this user is already a part of the flow calling for $source X, this user would be skipped from subsequent emails because flow filters are evaluated before each email in the flow sends. Therefore, if the flow filter value calls for $source X and the $source is Y when the email is due to send, the user in the flow will be skipped. The same principle applies for conditional splits.

There are a couple of solutions. The first is to update the hidden property for the ebook signup form to another value. Instead of $source, for example, you can use $source1. You can adjust the $source value, (or any value for that matter) on the form by clicking on the Call to Action (CTA) button of the signup form. You may find this post helpful for a visual. From there, update the flow filter in your ebook flow to $source1. Net-new users filling out this form will log $source1 and will proceed through the flow as normal except, even if users fill out the other signup form after filling out the ebook signup, the $source1 value will not get overridden since it’s its own discrete property.

Another solution is to change the List to Submit of the form. The idea here is to send ebook folks down a flow triggered off of a separate list (exclusively for ebook subscribers) so $source is not needed at all. This solution involves first creating a net-new list. Next, clone the existing flow (removing any filters) and select the new-net list as the trigger. Turn all emails in the cloned flow to live mode. Turn all emails in the original flow to draft mode. Finally, change the list the ebook signup form submits to, to the newly-created list by clicking on the CTA button of the form under List to Submit. Now, anyone who fills out the ebook signup will join this new list and go through this new flow.

I hope that is helpful!

Badge +4

This is super helpful info, thank you!

Addressing your second point first, I considered separate lists but I want to keep one main list as all our contacts will be included in our welcome series and our usual campaign emails.

From what I understand, I would need to remember to add each new list to a segment (containing all our lists) each time we create a new lead magnet - which we create often enough for this to not be the best option for us.

Your first point sounds exactly like what I need. Only issue is that we use gravity forms on our website and I’m struggling to find guides for that.

Here is what I’ve set up for the trigger in the lead magnet email series: 

I will have “GravityForms: Prepare Yours For Winter” selected from the dropdown for this lead magnet flow.

Do you know how I can create this alternate source value when using gravity forms?

Kind regards,

Maddie

Userlevel 7
Badge +61

Hi @maddiemhc,

Glad that the information above was helpful.

I’m afraid we do not have any information on updating the $source property with Gravity forms. I recommend checking in with Gravity to see if they’re able to pass us a net-new property akin to $source1 to pursue the first solution. And only for the ebook form. If not, you may want to consider adding a Klaviyo sign-up form for ebook signups specifically and then follow the same steps outlined in the first solution. You can use Klaviyo signup forms to target a specific page or URL for this purpose. Here a few additionally articles that you may find helpful:

And here is the section specifically on form targeting/behavior.

Badge +4

Spoken to Gravity Forms and it seems I need to switch to Klaviyo’s form builder to achieve this then, thank you for the articles.

At the moment I have everything set up using Gravity Forms to test, but I cannot get the flow to work with a contact already on my newsletter list.

I’ve attached a screenshot of the flow trigger and the form set up.

I need the flow to start for contacts signing up for the first time and those previously added to my newsletter list but signing up again to receive the lead magnet.

Any way to achieve this using one list or have I set something up incorrectly?

Many thanks,

Maddie

Userlevel 7
Badge +61

Hi @maddiemhc,

Thanks for update on this.

In order to place recipients who are already on the list through this flow, you will need to backpopulate the flow. Keep in mind, users can only go through a list-triggered flow once, therefore using backpopulate will only queue users up who were in your Newsletter list and never went through this flow. Since this is a flow triggered off of a list, you will be presented with two options when you click the “Back-Populate” button.

You’ll want to select the 2nd radio button: “Schedule for each step relative to when I click the back-populate button”. This will queue-up all users already present in the list from the top of the flow.

Also ensure that your flow emails are in live mode when you are actioning the backpopulation and that there are no flow filters or trigger filters that would prevent users from entering the flow. It looks like those two points are taken care of based on your screenshot. So you should be all set to follow the steps above.

Badge +4

Hi Dov,

Ah so this isn’t something that can’t be done automatically, only manually? 

Looks like I may need to set up two lists then, if there isn’t a way contacts can automatically go through it if they are on my newsletter list already.

There isn’t any other trigger that could be used in this situation?

Kind regards,

Maddie

Badge +4

EDITED:

I think I may have found my answer in this topic here: 

I need each of my forms to go into a segment based on source.

My ebook flows would be segment triggered (so each contact that signs up will get it no matter how many time they’ve previously signed up).

My general welcome series (which goes out a few days later so contact get their freebies/ebook first) is list triggered and will go to everyone that signs up, no matter their $source.

Does this sounds correct?

Kind regards,

Maddie

Userlevel 7
Badge +61

Hi @maddiemhc,

Yes that will work! Very neat approach by @retention, excellent :)

Badge +4

It works! Thank you for all the help and information :)