Solved

Why Are Both Shopify and Klaviyo Sending Confirmation Emails for Double Opt-In?

• 7 December 2020
  • 11 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

Hey there,

I just started using Klaviyo and I love it but I am running into one major problem. I think it is great that the integrated signup forms in Shopify sync with Klaviyo but it results in one issue for me: the Shopify system as well as the Klaviyo system send confirmation emails for the double opt-in. Problem is, I cannot disable double opt-in on Shopify because that would mean anyone can sign up (including bots) and I also cannot disable double opt-in on Klaviyo because double opt-in is required in my country.

Does anyone know how to work around this issue?

Any help is appreciated.

Thank you, 

icon

Best answer by retention 11 December 2020, 07:03

View original

11 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +57

@janinnero You should be able to turn off Double Opt-in in Klaviyo.

The Double Opt-in feature in Klaviyo is hidden from the settings by default for free plan. If you are on a paid plan in Klaviyo, you can submit a request to enable this option for your account here: Klaviyo Contact Form.

Ask Klaviyo support team to reveal that option for you, so you can toggle Double Opt-in on and off for each of your lists.

After you get a confirmation that the option is enabled for your account, navigate to the List for which you want to turn off the Double Opt-in. Open the list and click on “Settings”. Uncheck the “Require subscribers to confirm their subscription before being added to your list.” option.

After you uncheck this option, Klaviyo will stop sending the Double Opt-in Emails to the subscribers joining that List.

Here is the documentation from Klaviyo on Double Opt-in: The Double Opt-In Process

Hope this helps!

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

Thank you for the reply. However, turning the double opt-in off is not an option as well because it is required by law in my country. This means that when I use pop-up forms from Klaviyo, double opt-in needs to work.

Only solution I see right now is to not use any of the integrated sign up forms from Shopify and only use the ones from Klaviyo?

Userlevel 7
Badge +57

@janinnero I’m not absolutely sure about this, because I don’t know the exact laws in your country, but I still think that one consent is enough. If you’re using Shopify’s opt-in form, and you have double opt-in enabled in Shopify, doesn’t that count as confirmed consent for Email Marketing?

I think that the double opt-in from Klaviyo is redundant. Again, I’m saying this from logic. I don’t know how the law works in your country.

Maybe if you share what country are you from, someone can tell you more details on how you can set this and still be within the law.

Cheers!

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

I am from Germany.

I understand what you are saying. The problem is, I would rather have the confirmation email sent through Klaviyo than Shopify because I like the layout more and it gives you a “success” message.

Plus, if I use a popup form from Klaviyo, Shopify does not have to do anything with and no confirmation email is sent from Shopify, so I need the confirmation email to be sent from Klaviyo, hence double opt-in has to be enabled there as well.

Thanks!

Badge +2

I’m having the same issue, anyone know a solution? I want to keep double opt-in since it’s best practice, but I want to use Klaviyo’s flow since it’s better. But if I turn it off in Shopify then users will automatically be subscribed in Shopify without confirming. I’m using the newsletter form built into my theme, and prefer to use that instead of embedding the Klaviyo form. I would think that the integration would handle all of this seamlessly, but it doesn’t which is absurd.

Userlevel 7
Badge +57

@janinnero - Here’s what I recommend if I understand you correctly.  Remember, Double Opt-in rules in Klaviyo are set on each LIST.  For example you can have List A have Double Opt-in Enabled, and List B have Double Opt-in Disabled.  

• Emails that come from Shopify, where Shopify has Double Opt-in Enabled, goes to a Klaviyo List where Double Opt-in is Disabled.
  • Emails that come directly into Klaviyo (e.g. Klaviyo Signup Forms, 3rd Party Email Captures, etc) should be pointed to a DIFFERENT List where Double Opt-in is Enabled in Klaviyo.

In this way, Emails from Shopify only get the Shopify Double Opt-in.  And, Emails that go directly into Klaviyo, is directed to a DIFFERENT List that has Double Opt-in Enabled.

The only caveat, you have to build a Segment that includes profiles from both List as your “Marketing Segment” to combine both Lists.  Or, send a Campaign to each separately (which has the bonus of seeing the analytics unique to each List).

@drainyoo - I think Klaviyo doesn’t try to make assumptions on how you want to organize your Lists and what requirements might be stipulated - as in the case above, you may want to have Klaviyo have Double Opt-in or Not depending on your circumstances.  It’s a fair point, but I prefer that they allow me to choose then to make assumptions that might be false.

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

@retention  - Thank you very much. I actually think that this might be the best solution. It’s not perfect because I will have two separate lists but I guess I will find some way in the backend to put these two lists in the same segment or something like that.

I really appreciate your help.

Userlevel 6
Badge +9

Hi @janinnero @drainyoo @retention - thanks so much for sharing your scenarios and experiences in the thread! I’m not particularly familiar with the double-opt in laws in Germany myself, but I believe Joe’s comment about obtaining consent from either Shopify or Klaviyo’s Double Opt-In would be sufficient for email marketing. 

Additionally, if you’re just looking to have one Double Opt-In email go out, Joe’s recommendation for segmenting a List A and List B is a great suggestion. You would just need to create a segment with conditions: is in list A or is in list B to use as the “master” marketing segment for profiles that opted in either way.

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

@cassy.lee @retention @drainyoo I have been looking into this again and I guess I am facing one major problem. The double opt-in can only be deactivated in Klaviyo on a paid plan. 
So all the solutions above only apply for a paid plan. So, are there any ideas how to actually make this work on the free plan?

Much appreciated.

Badge +2

@janinnero - Here’s what I recommend if I understand you correctly.  Remember, Double Opt-in rules in Klaviyo are set on each LIST.  For example you can have List A have Double Opt-in Enabled, and List B have Double Opt-in Disabled.  

• Emails that come from Shopify, where Shopify has Double Opt-in Enabled, goes to a Klaviyo List where Double Opt-in is Disabled.
  • Emails that come directly into Klaviyo (e.g. Klaviyo Signup Forms, 3rd Party Email Captures, etc) should be pointed to a DIFFERENT List where Double Opt-in is Enabled in Klaviyo.

In this way, Emails from Shopify only get the Shopify Double Opt-in.  And, Emails that go directly into Klaviyo, is directed to a DIFFERENT List that has Double Opt-in Enabled.

The only caveat, you have to build a Segment that includes profiles from both List as your “Marketing Segment” to combine both Lists.  Or, send a Campaign to each separately (which has the bonus of seeing the analytics unique to each List).

@drainyoo - I think Klaviyo doesn’t try to make assumptions on how you want to organize your Lists and what requirements might be stipulated - as in the case above, you may want to have Klaviyo have Double Opt-in or Not depending on your circumstances.  It’s a fair point, but I prefer that they allow me to choose then to make assumptions that might be false.

The thing is, you can’t choose. If you turn off double opt-in on the Shopify side, then it auto subscribes people, making the double opt-in on the Klaviyo side pointless.

Anyway, I’ve dealt with it by just embedding the Klaviyo form onto my site. Still seems odd that the integration doesn’t address this.

Badge +3

Hi @drainyoo,

I’m right now in almost the same situation as you one year ago, so I researched about how to avoid the double double-opt-ins from Klaviyo and Shopify.

I was thinking about just turning off the DOI in Shopify. In this scenario, in my understanding, people who want to receive marketing information and create an account or buy something in my shop just land in my main Klaviyo list and then receive the DOI email from Klaviyo.

However, you mentioned often times that “If you turn off double opt-in on the Shopify side, then it auto subscribes people” - what do you mean by that?

If you turn off DOI in Shopify, doesent it just mean they will not receive a DOI-email? If they have not clicked the “I want to receive newsletter”-box in the first place, they should not be subscribed also with DOI off. And if they clicked this box, they will receive the DOI email from Klaviyo.

Could you maybe describe that?

Thanks and greetings

Max