Solved

Why is SMS compliance unsubscribe link non-disable-able?

• 4 October 2021
  • 3 replies

Badge +2

I’ve created a flow that sends SMS given a certain event. When editing the SMS, in the ‘Compliance’ tab in the ‘Consent’ section field there’s a toggle to enable/disable an ‘Unsubscribe link’. The toggle is fixed to ‘enable’. I can’t switch it off, nor can I edit the wording of how the unsubscribe link gets appended (in the UK). I’d much rather just offer ‘Text STOP to opt out’ functionality, and not a link, for UK recipients, but that doesn’t seem to be an option. Can anyone explain why? 

icon

Best answer by alex.hong 6 October 2021, 01:20

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +58

Hi @pgleeson,

Welcome to the Community! I hope to provide you with some info regarding your current question about SMS Consent editing options and preferences.

For Klaviyo, it is not possible to offer ‘Text STOP to opt out’ with UK Alphanumeric Sender IDs because Sender IDs do not allow for 2-way messaging. The unsubscribe link is required (cannot be toggled off). Additionally, here are some great resources regarding SMS consent & Klaviyo.

Getting Started with SMS Handbook - How to Collect SMS Consent

Hope this helped and please let me know if you have further questions!
Alex

Userlevel 7
Badge +58

Hi @pgleeson,

So what you are trying to do for that case would be to remove the opt out message. In that case, it has always been best practice to include opt-out language in the initial text message to a contact and to remind contacts of how to opt-out on a regular cadence, at least monthly. I believe starting end of Winter 2020, AT&T announced that all informational and promotional messages must have opt-out language (eg, “Text STOP to opt out”) or messages are subject to aggressive filtering. Because we expect other carriers to follow suit, this is now a requirement in all outbound SMS messages from Klaviyo.

If you would like to utilize short code in your SMS marketing, I would also reach out to support as they are best suited for this case!

Thank you :)

Alex

Badge +2

That’s very helpful, thank you. I have a follow-up: The SMS that we’re sending is not actually marketing messages, it’s transactional messages (e.g confirmation codes etc). In that case, GDPR opt-out considerations don’t apply. These are one-off messages triggered individually, rather than mass SMS to an entire list.

Is there any way, for those messages, that we can avoid the unsubscribe linke _and_ the ‘Text STOP’ functionality?