Solved

Conditional split based on who replied to email sent in the flow

• 24 November 2021
  • 10 replies

Badge +3

I am creating a flow to collect feedback from customers. I would like to send a discount-coupon to everyone who have replied to the email they have received in the flow. Is it possible to track those who have replied to this specific email? If not possible, can I make a condition out of how clicked an emailadress within the email?

Any other ideas on how I solve this even better?

Thanks in advance.  //Åsa

icon

Best answer by Julia.LiMarzi 24 November 2021, 16:43

View original

10 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +22

Hi @Tölta.se, thanks for reaching out to the Community!

While Klaviyo can track opens and clicks, we cannot track replies as those are handled by the recipient’s inbox. @david.to gave a great explanation for this limitation and also shared a workaround in another post with a similar question, which I have linked below. 

Another possible workaround would be to create a landing page on your site with a feedback form so customers can “reply” to the content in your email that way.

You can then trigger a new flow that sends to people who clicked that link in your flow message. Or if you use a service like Typeform on your landing page to collect their reply, you can trigger a new flow when someone fills out that form.

I hope this helps! 

Badge +3

Is it possible to make a condition out of wether the recipient clicks a email-link or not? I have tried, but it is not working. I do not know if it is possible or if it is just me not doing it right. :-)

Userlevel 6
Badge +22

Theoretically yes, you can within the same flow. You would need to use a Conditional Split, not a Trigger Split. You will need two conditional statements within the split, connected by AND as shown below to ensure that they clicked that URL from this message and not a different one. However, with this method they may receive the email with the discount after they click the link, even if they don’t write a reply via that link.

However, If you are using a “mailto” command in place of a URL, it won’t trigger a clicked email event, and this method can’t be used. 

Badge +3

Thanks Julia.

I have tried to make a conditional split as you proposed, but it is for some reason not working. Everyone who enters the flow is identified as “No” (not living up to the conditions) when, in fact, I know they have clicked the link. Klaviyo also recognize that theese persons have clicked the linked when looking at the profile or Analytics in the flow (under clicked).

This is what the conditional split looks like right now ( I have tried to change between “over all times” and “since started this flow”, but it does not help.

Badge +3

Also, I do have created a landing page, which now is the link in the email, that I want them to click (to send them further down the flow-path). Would it then be better to do as you proposed above, about landing page? Is that an easier road to take?

Thanks,

Åsa

Userlevel 7
Badge +58

Hi there @Tölta.se,

First, I think @Julia.LiMarzi great gave instructions and ideas for what you could do to set up your flows.

I think if you have a landing page constructed, it could be easier to just start a flow on landing page form submission and then send emails that way / segment customers who answered flows. It could provide smoother relay of customer info as you already had a customer’s click not trigger a flow.

Do you mind sharing the customer’s activity (hiding sensitive information) to confirm that the same link was clicked and same email was opened as the Flow screenshot?

Could it be that the special characters in the URL/subject caused an error?

All the best,

Alex

Badge +3

OK, lets hope I understad what you ask for correctly. Otherwise please instruct me further. :smiley:

I removed the second part of the conditional split in order to eliminate any problems with the foreign letter ö. So now only the condition that states that a person will have to click the url will be  a “yes” in the split. It did not change anything with the new clicked that have come in since the change.

First is a screenshot showing who clicked the link in the email. (As you can see, there is a link to the landing page. I guess it collects it from the email, and as you can see it is the same in the conditions in my prior post.)

Next screenshot is of that form. I have highlighted the webbadress, and it is the same as in the statistics of who have clicked. 12 people have clicked. SO they fulfill the condition in the conditional split.

Next screenshot shows a couple of the people (all the recipients of the flow are being directed to “no”, since no one is accepted as a “yes”) that have been directed to the “no”-path. It also include all 12 persons that actually did click on the link.

I hope this is what you wanted me to show. Any ideas what is wrong?

If possible I would prefer to have the whole process in one flow, not making another flow for those who have been on the landing page, to keep my flowlist easy and clear to grip. It is hard enough as it is to keep track of everything. :-) 

Thanks in advance!

/Åsa

Userlevel 7
Badge +58

Hi there @Tölta.se,

Thanks for providing those screenshots it helps a lot.

I noticed that the flow’s screenshot timestamps were dated before the other screenshot showing the activity log. If a split is evaluating when someone clicked on March 2nd and they don’t click until March 4th, that means the split correctly placed them down the “No” path at the time they were being evaluated at the split (if they clicked or not - on March 2nd). Therefore, even though an email did eventually click, it was after the split was evaluated. In other words, this conditional split will only work if they click before they’re evaluated at the split.

A workaround for this would be to actually create two Flows and remove the conditional splits from your current flow. One will be used to send the email you wanted to track opens/clicks. The second Flow will be a segment-triggered flow to identify people who click on the email sent in Flow 1. If you want, you can backpopulate the flow to send the email to all those people retroactively, or you can export people down the “No” path of the split in a .csv, upload to a list, and then send them an email. 

Thanks!
Alex

Badge +3

Thanks for your reply @alex.hong

If possible, I would like to avoid splitting the process into different flows. It will be very hard to keep track of all flows, and get an overview of a process if everything is chopped up into small fragments.

I do understand the issue with the timestamp though. Would it be an option to use a trigger split instead?

The challenge is that I want the person to move on in the flow, whenever he/she has klicked the link to the landingpage. And once he/she has klicked, the next email should be triggered and sent right away. So it will not be sufficient to just put in a time delay in the existing flow (before the conditional split). The customer will expect to get the coupon right away after answering the survey on the landing page.

/Åsa

Userlevel 7
Badge +58

Hi there @Tölta.se,

I think for this matter just having two flows for the process seems manageable. 

And yes when you are looking to create a flow that has an immediate next step action, then couldn’t you create a flow that triggers off a clicked link or open so that there is no time delay.

I would try stick with the workaround previously provided.

Best,

Alex