Solved

Merge Fields & Okendo Review Body

• 4 June 2021
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

Hi, TGIF!

This may be a little ambitious but I figured I'd ask…

We integrated Okendo and Klaviyo, and I'm exploring how we can fully leverage the integration. I was curious if we could pull the user's review body into a follow-up upsell email.

The upsell email is easy enough. I have a segment of people who bought X product, have not purchased the upsell, and gave X product either a 4 or a 5 star review.

Is there a merge tag that would be able to pull the Review Body into the body of the email? 

This is what the data fields under Created Okendo Review look like:

Thank you!

Jonathan

icon

Best answer by David To 6 June 2021, 17:06

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +58

Hi there @jfcatalan,

Thanks for posting here regarding your Okendo integration question.

To my knowledge and through checking the Okendo documentation, there hasn’t been a change of any code or syntax. I believe that this issue is occurring due to using an incorrect trigger in a flow. It is also important to note that event variables relate per event and does not live in other flows/data. So when it comes to working with the event|review body and your Flow, I think further guidance would be best to consult their documentation on the matter.

Thank you!
Alex

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

Looking into this further, my guess is that the issue may not be new, we've just only recently been told by a customer.

If the event that's triggering the flow is Eligible for a Review Request, and the event that the event variable lives in is Created Okendo Review, then that event variable wouldn't have fired, correct?

I created a new flow triggered by Created Okendo Review and the review body seems to be showing fine.

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

Hi, apologies for raising a dead thread but I figured it'd be better to keep it in one place.

Is there any reason the syntax for the merge code would have changed within the past 2 weeks? We're using {{ event|lookup:'Review Body' }} within the Okendo flow itself.

Starting about 2 weeks ago, customers have been telling us that the event variable is displaying “none.” (They only get the email with the event variable if they meet the condition of having left a 4 or 5 star review.)

Thank you!

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

Thank you, David! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +60

Hello @jfcatalan,

Great question!
Since it sounds like your flow is triggered by a segment, it would not be possible to pull in the Review Body event metadata shared by the Created Okendo Review event. To highlight this Review Body metadata to have the value displayed as content in an email, I would suggest creating a flow triggered off of this Created Okendo Review event and target these customers who have purchased a specific product, have not purchased an upsell product, and gave either a 4 or 5 star review through flow filters. This is because you can only reference an event’s metadata fields through a metric triggered flow and not a list or segment triggered flow. Similar to how you cannot use dynamic event data in Campaign emails, flows triggered by a list or segment do not have an event to be associated with them by which you can pull in dynamic data.

By having your flow triggered off of the Created Okendo Review event, you should be able to reference the Review Body data by using a syntax such as {{ event|lookup:'Review Body' }}. The actual syntax of this may differ and as such, I would recommend reviewing the About Using Event Variables to Personalize Flows to learn more about how to utilize event data in your emails and pull this Review Body value correctly into your email. 

Thanks for sharing your question with the Klaviyo Community!

David