Solved

Performance tracking on fulfillment

• 11 October 2022
  • 5 replies

Badge +4

We use fulfilled order under performance tracking, because we only want to see turnover based on real ordres (that has been fulfilled). But sometimes we see a big differents from fulfilled turnover in Klaviyo vs. Shopify but maybe that causes split of days between the systems due to fulfillment.

We can agree that tracking on fulfilled order under performance is fulfilled orders based on clicks in Klaviyo emails/ flows based on a given period (5 days)? Or are there anything else we need to pay attention to here.

I have read your guides, but what do you recommend as tracking under performance and is fulfilled order best practice? Placed order is an options but it gives mixed datas for us.

Active on site is also an option or..

icon

Best answer by David To 11 October 2022, 23:18

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +60

Hey @Henrik 8k,

This would once again be highly dependent on your own business. Because businesses can be so different we highly suggest constantly testing to evaluate a time frame that works best for your own attribution model.

If you need hands on assistance on how to formulate a test or guidance on coming up with a marketing strategy curated to your brand; I would advise reaching out and speaking with some of our highly knowledgable Klaviyo Partners

David

Badge +4

Hi David, Thanks for your reply and great answers. Ok, we are mainly wokring within the fashion industry and orders are fulfilled quickly and normally within 1 day. So I think tracking on fulfilled orders is ok for us, but maybe we should raise the attribution to 7 days, so we ensure the fulfillment can take places within the period of tracking?? Instead of 5 days.. This would maybe confuse the the attribution even more, because the customer can click on other mails in the meantime..

One more questions to be sure.. If an placed order is not fulfilled, does it count as turnover or is this not the same?

Userlevel 7
Badge +60

Hey @Henrik 8k,

I think your question pertaining to if a placed order is not fulfilled if it counts as turnover would be better suited for your ecommerce platform. Specifically how it dictates a change in inventory and which corresponding action would be considered turnover. 

David

Userlevel 7
Badge +60

Hey @Henrik 8k,

Great questions!

Deciding which metric to use as your conversion/attribution metric will really depend on your business and marketing goals. In my experience, the most common metric members use for attribution are transactional metrics such as Placed Order, Ordered Product, or Fulfilled Order. Placed Order is typically the most commonly used one and is also the one we tend to suggest. 

In my opinion, fulfilled order is a great metric to use; especially if you have products that turn around and are fulfilled quickly such as digital products. On the other hand, it’s not great for products that have a long conversion period like furniture products. For this reason, we oftentimes advise using the Placed Order event or Ordered Product event since they’re both well rounded and the sale and attribution could occur immediately. 

Using someone who has opened and clicked an email and immediately proceeded to make a purchase as an example. When using the Placed Order or Ordered Product as the conversion metric, the email that was clicked on would receive the attribution. However, if you were using the Fulfilled Order metric, if that product was not marked as fulfilled within 5 days (by default), it would not receive the attribution. What’s more, if after the 5 days if that recipient opens or clicks another email within 5 days prior to the order being fulfilled, the last email that was opened or clicked would receive the attribution. This means that the email that didn’t directly influence the purchase would have inadvertently receive credit. 

Although this misrepresentation is present when using the Placed Order or Ordered Product as a conversion metric, they occur less frequently and typically only apply to automated reoccurring orders. 

There are a number of pros and cons to any given of metric you decide to use. But it would all boil down to your business and marketing goals and what it was you are trying to achieve. If anything, we recommend constantly testing on what works best for you!

I hope this helps!

David

Badge +4

Ok, thanks.
What about the 5 or 7 days attribution, what do you recommend here?
I think we will continue with 5 days, but let me know what you recommend.