Solved

Signup and get Free PDF products with the same Email address

Badge +1

Hi, I’m new here :)

I need help with the app. I have an online store offering 5 free PDF products. I want a signup form on each product page so visitors can enter their email and get the PDF via email.

The problem is, if a visitor subscribes once and gets a PDF, they can't get another PDF with the same email from a different product page.

How can I set it up so visitors can use the same email to get different PDFs from different product pages?

icon

Best answer by bluesnapper 19 May 2024, 10:20

View original

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +39

Welcome to the community @killerscript 

You can do this with a custom property, 5 segments, and 5 segment-triggered flows. Here’s the approach:

On each form add the same custom property. Let’s call that custom property pdf_download and it will be a list data-type. Set the pdf_download value on the pdf1 form to pdf1, the pdf_download value for the pdf2 form to pdf2 etc. 

This custom property will contain all the PDFs a contact has downloaded and the values it contains will look like this: [“pdf1”,”pdf2” etc]. I recommend pushing all 5 forms to your master list rather than seperate pdf lists. This will keep things easier moving forward. You’ll be able to segement contacts by which pdfs they’ve downloaded with segments.

Create 5 segments, one for each PDF. The condition is shown below for the segment pdf1_download. It will have the same condition for the others, just change pdf1 to pdf2 etc.

Create 5 flows triggered from these segments, one for each PDF. The flow condition is shown below for pdf1_download. It will have the same trigger condition for the other flows, just change the trigger from pdf1_download segment to pdf2_download segment etc.

Outcome: When a contact submits a form for a specific pdf they will be added to the appropriate pdf segement(s) and enter the appropriate pdf flow(s)

Hope that helps

Andy 

pdf1 segment condition

pdf1 flow condition

Badge +1

You can do this with a custom property, 5 segments, and 5 segment-triggered flows. Here’s the approach:

On each form add the same custom property. Let’s call that custom property pdf_download and it will be a list data-type. Set the pdf_download value on the pdf1 form to pdf1, the pdf_download value for the pdf2 form to pdf2 etc. 

This custom property will contain all the PDFs a contact has downloaded and the values it contains will look like this: [“pdf1”,”pdf2” etc]. I recommend pushing all 5 forms to your master list rather than seperate pdf lists. This will keep things easier moving forward. You’ll be able to segement contacts by which pdfs they’ve downloaded with segments.

Create 5 segments, one for each PDF. The condition is shown below for the segment pdf1_download. It will have the same condition for the others, just change pdf1 to pdf2 etc.

Create 5 flows triggered from these segments, one for each PDF. The flow condition is shown below for pdf1_download. It will have the same trigger condition for the other flows, just change the trigger from pdf1_download segment to pdf2_download segment etc.

Outcome: When a contact submits a form for a specific pdf they will be added to the appropriate pdf segement(s) and enter the appropriate pdf flow(s)

Hope that helps

Andy 

pdf1 segment condition

pdf1 flow condition

Thank you so much for the quick reply, I belive this is what I’m looking for :)

May I ask where exactly is the “Custom Property” placed? I can’t find it in the sign-up forms.

How can I create a “Custom Property” to use in the form?

Userlevel 7
Badge +39

No problem @killerscript 

In your form, select the button on your form that submits their email address. You’ll see in the left hand panel the options below. Those highlighted in red are the hidded custom properties you can create. These get added to the profile when they submit. 

First though, It’s a good idea to add custom property pdf_download to your test profile. Open that profile and select “Add custom property”. In the value field use [“pdf1”,”pdf2”] exactly as I’ve written Also shown below. This sets it to list type and it will also apear in the drop-downs options for the hidden fields so less error prone

Regards

Andy

Form

Badge +1

No problem @killerscript 

In your form, select the button on your form that submits their email address. You’ll see in the left hand panel the options below. Those highlighted in red are the hidded custom properties you can create. These get added to the profile when they submit. 

First though, It’s a good idea to add custom property pdf_download to your test profile. Open that profile and select “Add custom property”. In the value field use [“pdf1”,”pdf2”] exactly as I’ve written Also shown below. This sets it to list type and it will also apear in the drop-downs options for the hidden fields so less error prone

Regards

Andy

Form

Okay I will try that :)

So bottom line:

• 5 forms 1 for each product
  • 1 master list
  • 5 segments 1 for each product
  • 5 flows that each flow add the subscriber to the master list.

How does the segment helps me again?

Badge +1

Hope that helps

Andy 

pdf1 segment condition

pdf1 flow condition

Thank you so much for the quick reply, I belive this is what I’m looking for :)

May I ask where exactly is the “Custom Property” placed? I can’t find it in the sign-up forms.

How can I create a “Custom Property” to use in the form?

Just finished all the instructions you provided, now I’m not getting any email at all?

I noticed that everytime a visitor subscribing to any of the 5 forms - They all will be redirected to the Master List instead of being added to of of the Segments…

See? 3 new members in the Master List, 1(test) for the rest

Userlevel 7
Badge +39

Hi @killerscript 

If all forms are pushing to the master list they will be added once. A contact can only be added to the same list once.

However depending on which PDF they download, their pdf_download custom property will reflect that and they will be added to the correct segments. Then your segment-triggered flows will send them the appropiate pdf emails.

It look like the segments are working OK. If you say they are not receiving the correct pdf emails, how have you set up your segment triggered flows?

Regards

Andy 

Badge +1

Hi @killerscript 

If all forms are pushing to the master list they will be added once. A contact can only be added to the same list once.

However depending on which PDF they download, their pdf_download custom property will reflect that and they will be added to the correct segments. Then your segment-triggered flows will send them the appropiate pdf emails.

It look like the segments are working OK. If you say they are not receiving the correct pdf emails, how have you set up your segment triggered flows?

Regards

Andy 

1. So why does my Segments doesn’t get any new subscribers? why all the subscribers are stored only in the Master List?
  1. I didn’t get any emails at all, none of my 3 testing emails received an email with the correct file, they didn’t receive an email at all :(

I don’t want to interrupt you so much, but if it’s possible for you to speak with me via Zoom/Skype and I’ll share with you my screen for further assistant

Userlevel 7
Badge +39

Hi @killerscript 

Happy to jump on a zoom. However, I’m on hols this week so that would have to be next week. Hopefully, what I’m suggesting below sorts out your issue.

Firstly, lists and segments are fundamentally different. 

A list is static. Contacts are added once and remain in the list unless they are removed e.g you remove them, they unsubscribe, or Klaviyo suppresses them (too many bounces)

A segment is dynamic. Contacts enter and leave a segment based on whether they meet your segment conditions.

Lists and segments do have one thing in common when you use them to trigger flows: a contact only enters a flow once when they are first added to a list or segment. So when testing, if you’ve already used that email address previously to enter the segment. you’ll need to submit a new test email address on your form to get the flow to trigger.

You say contacts are being added to your list. So the forms are submitting ok. 

If you look at your test profiles, is the custom property being captured ok? Does it look like key: pdf_download and Value: ["pdf1"], or ["pdf1","pdf2"] etc? If not, there's an issue with your custom property. If you don’t see the brackets/quotation marks then Klaviyo thinks it's not a list value.

If it is being captured correctly and they aren't in the correct segment, then the issue is your segment conditions. It should look like the pdf1 example I posted earier.

If everything is setup correctly, some things to check to see why your segment-triggered flow test emails aren't being received, look at your test profiles.

• Under the tab ‘lists and segments’ are the profiles in the correct segment?
  • Under ‘view messages’ (top right of profile screen), has the flow email been sent? If it has, then the issue is at the email client end (in spam?)
  • If you have smart sending enabled for your flow emails, that may skip your test emails if they’ve recently received any Klaviyo emails in the past 16 hours (default setting for emails)

Finger crossed, the above helps you sort this out!

Regards

Andy

Badge +1

Hi @killerscript 

Happy to jump on a zoom. However, I’m on hols this week so that would have to be next week. Hopefully, what I’m suggesting below sorts out your issue.

Firstly, lists and segments are fundamentally different. 

A list is static. Contacts are added once and remain in the list unless they are removed e.g you remove them, they unsubscribe, or Klaviyo suppresses them (too many bounces)

A segment is dynamic. Contacts enter and leave a segment based on whether they meet your segment conditions.

Lists and segments do have one thing in common when you use them to trigger flows: a contact only enters a flow once when they are first added to a list or segment. So when testing, if you’ve already used that email address previously to enter the segment. you’ll need to submit a new test email address on your form to get the flow to trigger.

You say contacts are being added to your list. So the forms are submitting ok. 

If you look at your test profiles, is the custom property being captured ok? Does it look like key: pdf_download and Value: ["pdf1"], or ["pdf1","pdf2"] etc? If not, there's an issue with your custom property. If you don’t see the brackets/quotation marks then Klaviyo thinks it's not a list value.

If it is being captured correctly and they aren't in the correct segment, then the issue is your segment conditions. It should look like the pdf1 example I posted earier.

If everything is setup correctly, some things to check to see why your segment-triggered flow test emails aren't being received, look at your test profiles.

• Under the tab ‘lists and segments’ are the profiles in the correct segment?
  • Under ‘view messages’ (top right of profile screen), has the flow email been sent? If it has, then the issue is at the email client end (in spam?)
  • If you have smart sending enabled for your flow emails, that may skip your test emails if they’ve recently received any Klaviyo emails in the past 16 hours (default setting for emails)

Finger crossed, the above helps you sort this out!

Regards

Andy

Okay so I can tell for sure there is a problem with the custom property, because Klaviyo thinks it's not a list value since the values are not in brackets/quotation marks.

I can move from “pdf1_download” segment to “pdf2_download” segment and it won’t save the custom property like this: [“pdf1”,”pdf2”] but it will save it like this: pdf2(because the last movement was to pdf2_download segment.

How can we fix that?

“Under the tab ‘lists and segments’ are the profiles in the correct segment?”

Yes.

“Under ‘view messages’ (top right of profile screen), has the flow email been sent?”

No, None of the profiles recevied any email :/

• Smart Sending option is disabled on ALL of my Flows

Screenshots:

Profile 1 - PDF2 Form

Profile 2 - PDF4 Form

Profile 3 - PDF1 Form

Now, If I will register Profile 1 to another form, the Custom Property will be override, so it’s not recognized as a list:

Profile 1 - PDF5 Form

Badge +1

Up