Solved

Why does my Abandoned Cart Flow has low Delivered message numbers?

Userlevel 1
Badge +5

I have had the abandoned cart flow up and running on my Shopify store for over a month.  The flow is triggering however, the percentage delivered is extraordinary low, less than 3% (image below).  What is causing this behavior and what’s a possible fix?

Metrics of Flow Over 30 Days

icon

Best answer by Taylor Tarpley 11 November 2022, 05:59

View original

12 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +60

Hi there @Squamishpoacher

Thanks for sharing your question with us! 

Do you mean to say that you want to know why you aren’t sending a lot of delivered AC flow emails or why it’s dropped from a previous number? From your screenshot, I can tell that your open and click rates seem to be going well, but it seems that a lot of your emails are being skipped, which could be good thing depending on the reason why!

For instance, users could be skipped because they fail to meet the flow filters i.e. they are completing their purchases. To investigate the skip reason in a flow email, navigate to the right side of your flow editor and click on the ‘View all Analytics’ Link on the Analytics tab and this should direct you to the reasons why the emails are skipped. 

Thanks for participating in the Community!

-Taylor

Userlevel 1
Badge +5

While to open rates and click rates are high, its on a very small sample,  Looking at the detailed skips provides very little insight other than flailing to meet a flow parameter.  That is pretty self evident.  If this flow was actually working, and its a default provided by Klaviyo, I would expect see very few skips, not 97%.  Smart Send is turned off and GA4 is reporting 390+ ATC in the last 30 days.

Maddening.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +38

What are your flow filters? @Squamishpoacher 

Userlevel 1
Badge +5

Standard Flows.  Smart Send turned off.  Inserted recommended code into theme.liquid in Shopify.  SImilar results from previous Abandoned Cart flow.

Userlevel 7
Badge +38

Very interesting.  Would customers on your site most likely add multiple items to their cart? Or are people usually buying one item?

When you go to the skipped profiles, can you send a screenshot of this (see below):

Userlevel 7
Badge +60

Hi @Squamishpoacher

Thanks for sharing more details about your problem so @Mailbox Manny and I could continue to troubleshoot with you! 

Thanks for hopping in here @Mailbox Manny. I think what might be the issue is your last filter  "Added to cart at least once since starting this flow”. Essentially, adding this flow filter means that in order to qualify for this flow they need to to have triggered an added to cart event after* triggering the ‘Checkout Started’ event, which isn’t a typical action a customer would take in this sequence and could be the reason very few are receiving these emails.

Userlevel 1
Badge +5

I would agree and will change and see if the behavior changes.  I would note that this is/ was the draft recommended default flow from Klaviyo.  Thank you again for your input.

Userlevel 1
Badge +5

After further contemplation @Taylor Tarpley  , does the order of the triggers really affect the filter.  We are looking to send emails to those who have 1) Not entered checkout  AND 2) And those who have not completed and order AND 3) those who have added to their cart.  That defines an “abandoned cart”.  This was the default order of the recommended flow.  I will change if you think reordering makes sense.

In reply to @Mailbox Manny , most customers add multiple items to their carts.  Some of the observed high flow #s appear to be customers from triggering the flow multiple times during a single session. as below

Userlevel 7
Badge +60

Hi @Squamishpoacher

I think i found the solution! I was unaware that you were using an ‘Abandon Cart- Added to Cart Trigger’ flow vs a started checkout trigger. This was helpful to know to find the error! I created this flow as well and saw there was a slight difference in flow filter criteria. The default flow’s  flow filter needs to be ‘Has Added to Cart> zero times > since starting this flow. This means that as soon as a user adds another product to their cart, they will exit the flow.

Once this has been changed, your flow should be sending more emails! 

-Taylor 

Userlevel 1
Badge +5

Thank you or your insight.  I have modified the trigger ‘to at least once’.  We will see if that improves deliverability/ performance.

Interestingly, I think I may have discovered another issue compounding performance and it has to do how the flow logs a ‘skip’.  I noted that when a customer added 10 items to their cart and then ultimately abandoned the cart that the flow logged 10 starts to the flow.  Nine emails then were ‘skipped’ as they were deemed to have failed; one was sent.  Most of our customers seem to use their carts as a collection mechanism which would result in multiple skips for a single shopping session.

Badge

@Taylor Tarpley What’s the ideal number of delivered message or emails in Abandoned Cart Flow?

Userlevel 7
Badge +60

Hi @Squamishpoacher

Happy to help! Yes, a profile can be queued for a for multiple times if they take the appropriate trigger action. With the Abandoned Cart being a metric triggered flow, I would consider adding this flow filter for an Added to Cart trigger for your flow to avoid this.

Hi @GreyFerns

We have found that sending 2–3 abandoned cart messages in your flow leads to optimal performance.  For more information on how we determined this result, check out our abandoned cart benchmark report and  Our blog on the topic

Thanks for visiting the Community!

-Taylor