Solved

Date Property Flow Based on Custom Event Date

• 16 May 2022
  • 5 replies

Badge +2

Hello fellow devs,

I’m using the Track API to pass along a custom event when someone signs up for a class. These events contain info about the class, including the class date and class start time. We need to send reminders to customers both 1 day and 1 hour before their class time. 

In a perfect world, I’d love to leverage a date property triggered flow where the date trigger is the custom property passed along from these API events. However, it seems like the date property flows are based on profile properties and not event properties, so I’m not sure that I could leverage the flow exactly as I’d like. 

Does anyone have any insight or ideas on how I could achieve this? Am I correct, are date property triggers only available on profile properties? Or is there a way that I can base my flow on the custom date property tracked by the API event?

Thanks,

- Ryan

icon

Best answer by DavidSandel 16 May 2022, 16:12

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +19

Couldn’t you pass the date information into the profile property too?

It’s not the best solution, but it could be a workaround.

Badge +2

Hi @DavidSandel,

Thanks for the reply, much appreciated!

Yeah, I’ve considered passing the property over to the profile as well. And that might end up being the only workaround / solution, unfortunately.

The reason I was hoping to keep the trigger on an event level is because there are multiple classes available and a person could sign up for as many as they’d like. However, if we set the custom date property on the profile itself we’d have to make a new date property for every class they sign up for so that we don’t overwrite any existing ones. And then, from a flow perspective, we’d have an indeterminate amount of date property flows to accomodate the indefinite number of custom profile properties. 

My hope was that we could leverage the date on the event level to make it more dynamic, so no matter how many classes they sign up for it would just send a reminder for each event.

I fear we’ll need to go the profile property direction and maybe just cap the number of classes at one per class type, that way we would could at least set a finite number of flows to handle reminders.

Let me know if you have any more thoughts, I’m open to any suggestions! I’m hoping that I’m missing / overlooking something that could make this easier.

Thanks,
- Ryan

Userlevel 5
Badge +19

That’s exactly how I’ve done it in the past. “Luckily” you can have a lot of profile properties and luckily the people I’ve implemented this for had less than 10 classes. So they had 1 property for the course name (of type ‘List’), and individual properties for the course dates. The only time they could get overwritten is if they signed up for the same course multiple times.

Badge +2

Sounds like that’s probably the best route here too. Maybe event based date triggers is a feature Klaviyo can add in the future!

Thanks again for the responses David, much appreciated!

- Ryan

Badge +2

@rsmith were you able to get this to work? We are trying to do the same thing. @DavidSandel I was thinking of doing this too. We have over 200 tours but I can’t figure out how to create a custom property for each tour with start date/end date. It’s currently nested in “order product” but that won’t trigger my flows.