Solved

How Do I Create a Metric Definition for Subscription Metrics?

• 27 September 2021
  • 6 replies

Badge +2

Hi there,

My customer website have a paid subscribe fonctionality and they want to identify people who have a new subscription, new subscription to specific product, canceled subscription and canceled subscription to specific product.

With API I can create lists for each product with the subscription fonctionality and use the segment defintion “if someone is in a list” to identify them but i’m not sure that it’s the right way.

Does anyone have a better solution ? Is it possible to add metric for “What someone has done” segment definition (like have a subscription) ?

Thanks in advance,

Julien

icon

Best answer by Taylor Tarpley 27 September 2021, 18:55

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +60

Hi there @JulienLdt

Thanks for sharing your question further with us! 

First, when you say ‘synchronize old subscriptions’, do you mean update your old subscription metrics to the new updated definition of subscription metrics created with the code we talked about earlier? If so, what could be happening is that the previous definition of ‘started subscription’ in your account might not meet the same standards as what counts for a ‘started subscription’ metric with the new Track API code. 

I would love to hear from the Community if any other users have experienced a similar issue with Track API code for subscription-based events, however at this time, I would suggest you contact Contact Support as they will able to do a more robust, deep-dive into your account to identify the exact issue going on here. 

Thank you for being a valued part of the Community! 

-Taylor 

Badge +2

Hi there,

I just have a last question about this, I have a good synchronization for new Subscribers. But I tried to synchronize my old subscriptions, the count is good but I can see this in my “Metric best people” section:

That’s the good response, this customer should have 4 subscriptions, but when I go to profil details and look for “Started Subscription” event I just see 2 of it:

Do you have an idea of the problem ? The count is good but the details..

Thanks in advance!

Julien

Badge +2

Hi @Taylor Tarpley,

Thanks a lot for this informations.

Now I understand more how it work.

Have a good day !

Julien

Userlevel 7
Badge +60

Hi @JulienLdt

Thanks for your additional question here, would love to provide some more clarity here!

In order to track these ‘subscription-based’ events you want to record and segment off of, you will need to insert the Track API codes, mentioned earlier for ‘Started Subscription’, ‘Updated Subscription’, and ‘Cancelled Subscription’ instead of creating Lists. There are limited features we can track in the Segment builder, and you are correct, we cannot create a segment with the conditions you’re looking for when segmenting off of a list.

However, even if this feature was possible, it is still a more accurate and a more efficient process to capture these ‘Subscription’ events as ‘metrics’, which theTrack API code will do, instead of trying to create a workaround of adding users who create a subscription action to a list. Although possible, this is not the best purposing of a list and might lead to more issues later. Utilizing the Track API codes for Subscription events will ultimately save you time and potential trouble in the future!

After you insert the Track API for these events, they will be easily logged and you can then use this data to create the Segment  ‘What Someone Has Done’ in the Segment builder to track who has ‘Started’, ‘Updated’, or ‘Cancelled’ a Subscription in ‘the last X days’. You can also then easily add a filter to include the product, once tagged, you want to specify when identifying these events. 

Thank you for your participation in the Community! 

-Taylor  

Badge +2

Hi @Taylor Tarpley,

First of all, thank you for your help !

I started to develop this fonctionnality on the website but I have an issue with this system of 3 lists.

My client want to create segment which are based on subscription duration on specific product (Like people who are subcribed/unsuscribed to a specific product since more than 3 months), and i’m not sure that i can do it with this system..

For now I have the list creation system which create 3 lists (started/updated/cancelled subscription), and i add new member profile to it: 

But with this system I can’t do a filter on product subscription time:

Do you know if it’s possible to create this filter with this lists structure or if I should review it ?

Thank you for your help,

Julien Lardet

Userlevel 7
Badge +60

Hi @JulienLdt,

Thanks for asking this great question in the Community! 

As Klaviyo doesn’t have in-house metrics for subscription-based actions, it is a great idea to build this out via API! Whenever you are using Segments, it’s important to remember that you can only dynamically pull information into segments that Klaviyo is able to identify or has stored in your account. While you could create Lists via API that hold customers who have created a subscription for a certain product, there is an easier way to track Server-Side Metrics in Klaviyo such as ‘Started Subscription’, ‘Updated Subscription’, and ‘Cancelled Subscription’ that can all be installed via API, explained and prepared for users in our Help Center Documentation. 

This would be an easier way to create the data for the metrics you wish to segment. I would also suggest creating product-specific tags or names in the event data you install so you can further segment the data to filter the events based on each product. 

When you have installed the data to create these subscription event metrics, I would recommend Creating Metric-Triggered Flows after each of these possible events to further personalize the customer journey! 

Finally, check out another conversation a user in the Community was having about a similar subscription question! 

Best,

Taylor