Solved

Sending 2x emails to Klaviyo Identify

• 15 May 2024
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

Hey There, 

I have this situation where people sometime subscribe with one email, but there account on site is with another.

I am wondering if I can send two emails (in an array)? 

for example:

'email' : ['email1@mail.com', 'email2@mail.com']

icon

Best answer by NidzDesai 20 May 2024, 14:37

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +8

Hi @chrisB,

You’re getting at something really important–the fact that Klaviyo only handles 1 email/phone per person, and uses those as the unique identifier. You can’t have two email addresses on one profile.

You could have alternative email addresses as profile properties, but there is no built-in support for multiple email addresses. 

I think this is a pretty big product limitation as it’s not uncommon for someone to have multiple emails or even phone numbers.

But that’s how it works right now. Would love to hear if other people want built-in support for alternative email/phones on a profile…

Cheers,

Kevin.

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

Hey @KeviSunshine 

thanks for your thoughts and comments on this :)

I think there is definitely scope to have a primary and secondary email on a profile, but I do kind of understand how it was used as a unique identifier. I think we are getting to a point that people are having more that one email and it would be good to have additional email (maybe one for transactional and another for campaign).

I guess what I am trying to ascertain, is if I can send an array on the identify component, or do I need to loop the request for each one and then throw the unique ID (or email) into cookies later for storage?

{ "token": "PUBLIC_KEY", "properties": { "$email": ["abraham.lincoln@klaviyo.com",”a.lincoln@klaviyo.com”], "$first_name": "Abraham", "$last_name": "Lincoln", "$city": "Springfield", "$region": "Illinois" } }

If we are assume they are there (under one of the emails), I would rather send a single request that iterate through the array of emails until I get a response, then send it to cookies for subsequent requests. 

Hope that kind of makes sense.

Userlevel 4
Badge +8

Hi @chrisB,

You can’t pass an array of emails to the identify endpoint. You could add the other emails as custom profile properties, but the API call will fail if you try to pass an array to the email field.

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

Hi @chrisB,

You can’t pass an array of emails to the identify endpoint. You could add the other emails as custom profile properties, but the API call will fail if you try to pass an array to the email field.

damn (but figured as much) looks like i’m looping the calls and storing the ID once found into a cookie I guess...

Badge +2

Sending emails to both addresses could be a solution, but it's essential to tread carefully to avoid overwhelming or spamming your users. One approach you might consider is to provide users with the option to manage their email preferences. Within their account settings, offer a feature where they can add or update email addresses and choose which one they prefer to receive communications on. If you do decide to send emails to multiple addresses, ensure that you're transparent about it and give users the opportunity to opt out or choose their preferred contact method. Respecting user preferences is key to maintaining trust and engagement.

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

Sending emails to both addresses could be a solution, but it's essential to tread carefully to avoid overwhelming or spamming your users. One approach you might consider is to provide users with the option to manage their email preferences. Within their account settings, offer a feature where they can add or update email addresses and choose which one they prefer to receive communications on. If you do decide to send emails to multiple addresses, ensure that you're transparent about it and give users the opportunity to opt out or choose their preferred contact method. Respecting user preferences is key to maintaining trust and engagement.

I don’t hate that but really my aim is to have multiple emails on an account for identification. With a primary for sending.