Solved

Unable to use the Catalog API endpoints

• 2 March 2023
  • 3 replies

Badge +2

We have integrated our catalog via a json feed directly in the control panel of Klaviyo.

We logged a request with support to see if we could integrate our variant products correctly in the feed, e.g. Parent product: T-Shirt - variant products T-shirt Blue, T-Shirt Green, T-Shirt Red.

They mentioned we would have to use the API to add our variants, is this the case? or has someone worked out how to add variants in the feed?

On a side note, when we try and use the API to do anything with the catalog we get an error:

Unable to use the API: You have atleast one active Catalog Sync

icon

Best answer by Brian Turcotte 17 March 2023, 20:50

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +36

Hi @more2science!

The error “You have at least one active Catalog Sync” refers to the catalog feed that is enabled. This would need to be deactivated in order to use the catalog API, as these are conflicting.

Were you planning on managing the catalog through a feed our was this for an initial import? That would also need to be done via API to manage the ongoing catalog in that manner. To that end, I would probably recommend following up on the support ticket you mentioned, as this could be an account-specific issue. Let me know if this makes sense.

- Brian

Badge +2

Hi @more2science!

The error “You have at least one active Catalog Sync” refers to the catalog feed that is enabled. This would need to be deactivated in order to use the catalog API, as these are conflicting.

Were you planning on managing the catalog through a feed our was this for an initial import? That would also need to be done via API to manage the ongoing catalog in that manner. To that end, I would probably recommend following up on the support ticket you mentioned, as this could be an account-specific issue. Let me know if this makes sense.

- Brian

Hi Brian,

This was the email I got from support:

Hi Peter, 

Yes, so the JSON feed is being used through our custom catalog process (through the API) following this guide here: https://developers.klaviyo.com/en/docs/guide_to_syncing_a_custom_catalog_feed_to_klaviyo. T

Therefore, any updates made to the catalog, such as creating a variant, can be done through the API endpoints we offer here: https://developers.klaviyo.com/en/reference/create_catalog_variant

Please let me know if you have any questions! 

Best,
Megan at Klaviyo Support

From the way I read this I could use the feed through the control panel to do the sync of products (non-variants) but then use the API to add the child skus.

However you could be right about the two conflicting.

Further to that if I remove the feed and just use the API for everything will the sales for the variants flow through to the parent product so that the parents show in the best sellers list?

This is one of the other problems I have.

Peter.

Userlevel 7
Badge +36

Hi @more2science!

So there are two ways to sync a custom catalog to klaviyo:

• XML or JSON feed in-app (in the control panel of Klaviyo)
  • Via our V3 Catalogs API

At the moment, you cannot use the catalogs API if you are syncing a custom catalog via JSON or XML, you have to chose one of the two options. In other words, you can't use the catalog API if you are using a custom catalog feed in the control panel of Klaviyo, so it’s possible that the support query was misunderstood - for which I apologize.

If you want to rope variants in, you would need to get rid of custom feed in-app and use the API entirely.

I hope this helps to clarify!

- Brian