Solved

UTM Parameters: Validating params are included in emails

• 31 October 2022
  • 1 reply

Badge +2

Hi!

I have enabled UTM tracking in a Klaviyo flow, and I added custom parameters as well.

In order to confirm that these are being properly included in email links:

1. Should all email links include the utm params in the URL?
    1. For example, in the screenshots below, I have enabled the UTM params “utm_source”, “utm_medium”, “utm_campaign”, “utm_custom”. Should I see all these params in the URLs? (and also the “_kx” param) to confirm these are being properly included in emails?
  2. Should the UTM params be the same for all URLs in the emails? for example, I have an email for an e-commerce abandoned cart checkout that includes several products. Should links for each individual product have the same UTM params?

Thanks!

icon

Best answer by stephen.trumble 31 October 2022, 20:51

View original

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +60

Hey @CohleyDev 

First, This is a fantastic first question to post on the Klaviyo Community! Thank you for asking, even I had to do a little research. 

For your first question, UTM parameters populate when viewing emails from a customer profile. To verify that UTM parameters are being appended to your links, go to any profile page that received an email from you, located the Received Email metric, and then clicked on the icon next to the paper plane icon like below:

?name=Screen+Shot+2020-08-27+at+6.15.25+PM.png

Clicking on any links from the preview should populate the UTM parameters as well. 

For the second question, it will really depend on what you are trying to track and why if you need to add or change any UTM parameters. The flexibility to add up to 5 custom UTM parameters allows to focus in at the message level on specific target areas depending on what you are trying to track. However, all links from the same email will have the same UTM parameters.

Hope this helps and thank you for being part of the Klaviyo Community!