Solved

What characters are supported in the email field of Profiles?

• 23 August 2023
  • 4 replies

Badge +2

Good day Klaviyo People!

We are noticing quite a lot of 400s when doing identify/track calls to Klaviyo. It looks like a lot of email addresses that we get through Shopify can't be processed through Klaviyo. One example is non-ascii email addresses as mentioned in this other post:

But in our system we see it's not limited to non-ascii characters but there are quite a lot of characters that create issues when sending events to Klaviyo.

I looked at the docs but couldn't find anything. Could you provide what is the subset of email addresses that are valid email addresses in Klaviyo? Like a regex you use internally or the set of characters supported?

icon

Best answer by Brian Turcotte 7 September 2023, 20:54

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +7

Hey @diegoeche,

Great question!! I asked a similar question mainly focused on phone numbers here: 

I also asked this as a support question and they got back to me with this response:

Zack here from Klaviyo support. Thanks for reaching out, and I'd be happy to assist!

I see that you had reached out through our Community recently about an issue you were seeing with bulk loads that encountered errors due to a bad email/phone number. I've had a chance to touch base with my team about this, and we don't exactly have a list of values that aren't accepted. With that being said, Phone Numbers synced must be in E.164 format, and Emails must contain an @ to be considered valid.

There isn't any pre-built logic we have to exclude those invalid email/phone numbers. One suggestion would be to either build out, or work with your developers to build, conditional logic that will remove any profiles who don't have the accepted formatting I mentioned above. So long as this occurs prior to the bulk API request, then this should mitigate issues where the entire request fails for one bad value.

I'd also be happy to provide any feedback for my team, or write a feature request on your behalf. Just let me know in a response with any feedback and more details about your use case, and I can take next steps. Otherwise, let me know if you have any further questions or concerns, and have a great day!

Best,
Zack at Klaviyo Support

I didn’t find either of these answers to be conclusive or satisfactory so I’m hoping you’ll get a better response!

Cheers,

Kevin.

Userlevel 2
Badge +5

I’ve had the most trouble with emails that have initial or trailing spaces.  That’s easy to fix but frustrating to identify.

Userlevel 7
Badge +36

HI @KeviSunshine, @stem and @diegoeche!

I’m going to check on this with our API team and I’ll update the thread ASAP!

Best,

Brian

Badge +2

HI @KeviSunshine@stem and @diegoeche!

I’m going to check on this with our API team and I’ll update the thread ASAP!

Best,

Brian

Any news on this? It's been 6 months