Solved

Segment by First Purchase Date

• 9 February 2022
  • 7 replies

Badge +2

Hello, I would like to build segments based on customers’ first purchase date range, e.g. a segment whose first purchase dates are within January 2022. Couldn’t find the first purchase date in the property list. Any way to achieve it? Thanks in advance :-)

icon

Best answer by alex.hong 10 February 2022, 01:05

View original

7 replies

Badge +2

Wow! Amazing! Thanks a lot for your help. Will definitely try it out :-D

Badge +3

Hello @alex.hong 
I hope you’re well.
We tried to do your tutorial to set the date of the first purchase.
We checked and it doesn't work for us. 
I put you the screenshots below the different flows

can you help us ? 

have a good day !

Userlevel 7
Badge +58

Hi there @MathieuM,

Thanks for reaching out. I’d be glad to assist. Where do you seem to be running into issues? I believe that you have set things up properly so are you seeing contacts not have a property changed or is there something else? 

Looking forward to your response,

Alex

Badge +3

Thanks for your answer @alex.hong !

The contacts are not updated with the purchase date.

I'm not sure where the problem comes from... 
Can you redo the 2nd flow of your tuto but with more screen.

If there is a problem, it comes from here.
Thanks for your help Alex !

Userlevel 7
Badge +58

Hi there @MathieuM,

Apologies. Thank you for bringing something back in mind for myself. Upon reviewing, it appears that you are correct that this would not update and that this method may not be sustainable in the long term! This is due to how back population works in Klaviyo in relation to dates such as 365 days. I've since edited my response to reflect this. 

Thank you,

Alex

Userlevel 7
Badge +58

Hi there @CandleShack,

Welcome to the Community! Thanks for asking your question regarding segments here and hope I can help.

To begin collecting first purchase dates from new customers, you'll need to set up a Flow to apply this property. The flow setup will look like this:
OpiAXeqxyCAB6KB3hw3_Y8MLV1GPqdv_TaCjL0gXTkN8tZPAWP9ezY2E-H5Dy_dHN9GG48oT_qtD5wEJCLxgns_daheGMFOhzm7qUgyxpMs95RH0_adnPdHAUusvhUoBR53JKW30
Trigger: Placed Order
Conditional Split: What someone has done > placed order > equals > 1 > over all time
Update Profile Property: Create Profile Property > First purchase Date > Select date data type > check Use current date when this step is reached

There is unfortunately no way to retroactively update every person's first purchase date, but there is a workaround if you were able to export your customer's first order history from within your ecommerce backend. This would allow you to apply this first purchase date as a custom profile property.

Hope this helped,
Alex

Userlevel 7
Badge +58

Glad I could help @CandleShack! If you have any questions feel free to ask our Community again!