Solved

Segment by product name

• 28 September 2021
  • 9 replies

Badge +6

Hi everyone, how to build a segment that filter the contains in a product name (ItemNames)? I heard that the availability of the contains definition depends on the format of the data that is being shared to Klaviyo, so how to check if data format of ItemNames surely is list data or text data? 

I have tried to segment as picture attached but it doesn’t work, no any results.

Please advise, thank you so much!

icon

Best answer by alex.hong 29 September 2021, 22:32

View original

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +60

Hey @Aram Becker 

Unfortunately this feature is still not available. However I will add your request to the list of other members who need this type of feature as well. I truly appreciate your feedback and will follow up here in the event the product team releases this feature in the future!

Badge +2

Are there any news on this? We would like to enable our marketing team to create segments based on the product name. We already elevate a few keywords in the name to categories in Klaviyo, but that’s something we have to implement every time a new keyword gets added. Having the ability to use “contains” in the product name would make creating segments much more streamlined.

Userlevel 7
Badge +58

Thanks for sharing your feedback @charlesfixrs! I’ll be sure to put those notes into a product request so our team can get some eyes on it for putting it onto the roadmap! 

Hope you have a good rest of your day!

Alex

Badge +1

Sure. We are trying to segment customer by types of order. We have a highly customized WordPress setup. Shipping methods are custom named depending on the Point of delivery. That give us the opportunity to tailor the experience of our users. 

But in Klaviyo, we would like to target all Customers who’s order are delivered to Stations, to Fridges, and with Home delivery. As you see above, Stations are all individually named. If we could match “Station *”, that would be easy. but we will have to create as many OR statements as there are Station (which is 40 and growing). Same for Fridges (60+).

Userlevel 7
Badge +58

Hey there @charlesfixrs,

If you wouldn't mind my asking, could you tell more about about how'd you like to use this feature? Knowing the particular use-case would help convince our product team to dedicate resources to develop this. I’d love to hear more about what a wildcard feature could look like for filtering :)

Alex

Badge +1

Hey @alex.hong, any expectation of allowing a wildcard in the near future on the following segment interface?

Userlevel 7
Badge +58

Hi @emma_hugewinmedia no problem glad I could help a bit!

To segment all customers using ItemName, it would actually have to be the exact name of the product for each filter. So it would not be able to take just the keyword “bestie” out.

What you could do is add a new Product Category to any item with "bestie" in the product name and then you can Segment based on ProductCategory. Otherwise, you could use our Track API to create a custom Added to Cart metric that pulls the data you're looking to include. You would likely need to work with a developer to build this. I would think the category option will be a simpler solution! Otherwise, you would have to include each item with “bestie” in the name.

Hope this helped!

Alex

Badge +6

Hi @emma_hugewinmedia,

Welcome to the Community! 

So to start, we must first discuss the different data types that can be applied. First, text inputs could be a favorite color, shopping preferences, or an email address. Below is a signup form that gathers preference information that will be translated into text properties. The logic “contains” used with LIST type of data, element references the Items "List", not the item name. In that sense the List type must contain exactly the word you are looking for.

Usually how this works is if the data type is Text, then contains looks for the DATA you’ve typed in and adds wildcards to either side of the term you’ve entered --- in other words, what you typed in can exist anywhere in the dimension. However, if the data type if List, then contains looks at each record in the List and checks it against what you typed in. If it doesn’t match to DATA you typed in then it won’t consider it as a qualifying event.

Going off of this information, may I ask how you have set up your possible segment as well as the list it is pulling for. Also, what is your purpose with tracking add to cart? Would love to hear more to offer a tailored solution :)

We also have a guide that talks about different data types as well!

Looking forward to hearing from you,
Alex

Hi Alex, 
Thank you for your answer, it helps me a lot. 
I want a segmentation of all the customers who has ordered a product which its name includes the keyword “bestie”, no matter which category the product is in. (Could be from t-shirt category, dress category, etc...)

Could you please advise the best way for this? I have tried many different ways but still not works. 
Thank you in advance.
Emma

Userlevel 7
Badge +58

Hi @emma_hugewinmedia,

Welcome to the Community! 

So to start, we must first discuss the different data types that can be applied. First, text inputs could be a favorite color, shopping preferences, or an email address. Below is a signup form that gathers preference information that will be translated into text properties. The logic “contains” used with LIST type of data, element references the Items "List", not the item name. In that sense the List type must contain exactly the word you are looking for.

Usually how this works is if the data type is Text, then contains looks for the DATA you’ve typed in and adds wildcards to either side of the term you’ve entered --- in other words, what you typed in can exist anywhere in the dimension. However, if the data type if List, then contains looks at each record in the List and checks it against what you typed in. If it doesn’t match to DATA you typed in then it won’t consider it as a qualifying event.

Going off of this information, may I ask how you have set up your possible segment as well as the list it is pulling for. Also, what is your purpose with tracking add to cart? Would love to hear more to offer a tailored solution :)

We also have a guide that talks about different data types as well!

Looking forward to hearing from you,
Alex