Solved

Send Welcome Flow to New Subscribers but not to Checkout Opt-ins!?

• 11 March 2021
  • 7 replies

Badge +2

Hello, 

I am a shopify store owner currently using mailchimp and migrating over to Klavyio. 

I have a sign up embed and pop up on my website which offers 10% off to new subscribers. 

I would like people who sign up via these forms to enter my welcome series flow which gives them 10% off and be added to my newsletter list. 

However, I don’t want people who opt-in to the newsletter at checkout to trigger this welcome flow. Instead I will want them to trigger a post-purchase flow. 

I do want both sets of people (whether they signed up for 10% or they opted-in at checkout) to be added to my ‘all newsletter’ list. 

Please can someone help by explaining to me how to do this? 

Many thanks in advance, 

Claire 

icon

Best answer by retention 11 March 2021, 17:06

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

@CLAIRESANKEY1 Ahhh very good to know also!! Appreciate the info!

Badge +2

@steez_brand I worked out a different way which I think solves this problem! 

On my sign up forms on my website, I have made it so when the button is clicked the property SOURCE = COUPON is applied to the profile. 

Then on the welcome flow trigger I have added the filter must have property SOURCE = COUPON. 

This means instead of everyone who signs up or opts in to my newsletter list (e.g those who do so at checkout) triggering the welcome flow, only those who sign up via the forms/pop ups on my website will trigger the flow. You can then also trigger different welcome flows based on where the person signed up to the list (e.g. Facebook/website/event etc).

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

Also wondering if it’s possible to trigger welcome flow based on where they signed up.. @CLAIRESANKEY1 I believe for ‘accepts marketing’ it’s not until a purchase is actually made that they get subscribed that way. FWIW I ended up setting my flow filter on my Welcome Flow to hasn’t purchased within the last hour just to protect for the case where someone purchases first time without checking accepts marketing but later decided to sign up to the mailing list to purchase again with the discount code.. @retention do you see any issues with that? Thanks for the help!

Badge +2

@retention Sorry I have another query on the same topic - what is someone abandons a cart but has already opted into marketing? They are going to trigger the abandoned cart flow as well as the welcome flow? How can I filter them out also so they don’t receive the welcome flow? but without filtering out just anyone who has initiated a checkout?

Thank you! :-) 

Badge +2

@retention - thank you so much, this is a very simple explanation thank you! Do you know if it is possible to have a different welcome flow triggered depending on how the subscriber enters the list? E.g If signed up from the website offering 10% off - triggers Flow 1 but if signed up on Facebook offering a free gift triggers Flow 2? 

@steez_brand - exactly, this is what I wanted to avoid! 

Thank you for your responses :-) 

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

@CLAIRESANKEY1 - Hi Claire, welcome to the community!

There’s a few ways to do this, but I’ll give you the simplest approach:

First, I’ll assume your “Welcome Series Flow” is a “List Triggered” Flow from your “all newsletter” List. Then, In your “Welcome Series Flow” - set a “Flow Filter” to exclude any who have “Placed Order” like this:

Click on the Trigger Box, Then “Flow Filter” (on the sidebar) to add the filter rules.

This will ensure that anyone that makes a purchase, will not enter the Welcome Series even though they are added to your “all newsletter” List.   

You can click on the “Preview Trigger Setup” to double check your Flow Filter rules.  This one should be pretty simple, but it’s good to be able to verify your Filter rules by going through a few “live” samples to see what would happen. 

You should see something like this:

For customers who made a purchase, simply create a “Post Purchase” Flow based on the Metric Trigger “Placed Order” (or “Fulfilled”) and that Flow will trigger every time someone makes a purchase.  Here’s some documentation on setting that up:

Hope this helps!

Oh wow, I didn’t realize a welcome flow could be triggered post-first-time purchase with accepts marketing clicked! That would certainly make for a bit of a weird user experience if you also have a post-purchase flow setup! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +57

@CLAIRESANKEY1 - Hi Claire, welcome to the community!

There’s a few ways to do this, but I’ll give you the simplest approach:

First, I’ll assume your “Welcome Series Flow” is a “List Triggered” Flow from your “all newsletter” List. Then, In your “Welcome Series Flow” - set a “Flow Filter” to exclude any who have “Placed Order” like this:

Click on the Trigger Box, Then “Flow Filter” (on the sidebar) to add the filter rules.

This will ensure that anyone that makes a purchase, will not enter the Welcome Series even though they are added to your “all newsletter” List.   

You can click on the “Preview Trigger Setup” to double check your Flow Filter rules.  This one should be pretty simple, but it’s good to be able to verify your Filter rules by going through a few “live” samples to see what would happen. 

You should see something like this:

For customers who made a purchase, simply create a “Post Purchase” Flow based on the Metric Trigger “Placed Order” (or “Fulfilled”) and that Flow will trigger every time someone makes a purchase.  Here’s some documentation on setting that up:

Hope this helps!